PowerFlex 753 Ethernet and physical button control??

cardosocea

Hello,

I'm setting up an application where I'll have a couple of Powerflex drives commanded from a PLC on a network.

However, we want to be able to run the drives manually in the event of a PLC failure and I was asked to leave some hardware buttons and a switch to swap over the command source between the PLC and buttons.

I've read the manual a few times and it's really not clear how to do this in the setup. Has anyone ever done this?

Last edited:
I've not done that specifically with a PF753, but I'm 100% confident it can be done. I've done similar things with a powerflex 525.

Basically, you just need to configure two control sources - ethernet and terminals - and configure a way to switch the control source. So you might configure one digital input as a control source select, and to that input you would wire a "PLC/Local" control switch. Then wire up your start/stop buttons as normal.

You'll also have to consider the reference source - you may need to configure it the same way. You may wish to have the "local" mode use a fixed speed reference, or a HIM speed reference, or a speed reference from a potentiometer via an analog input. Lots of different options.

I can't help you off the top of my head with specific drive parameters, but I'm confident it's doable. And equally confident that others who are more familiar with that drive will pop up to answer your question faster than I can get out my manuals and work it out ;)

Like ASF I can't help with specifics, but I do this all the time with Schneider ATV650s. I use DI6 on the drive to swap from command channel 1 to command channel 2. One is ethernet, two is terminals.

On the schneider drives you can have command and speed reference selected seperately. I have command and reference on channel 1 being ethernet comms. Command 2 is terminals, reference 2 is HMI.

If the ol ATVs can do it, I'm sure the PF drives can

Sorry, cannot help. We have external HIM's and just use the interface to run in manual if needed.

Would having an external HIM be an option?

Yes, This is something I'm considering, but it's for operators to manage in the event of a failure so it's a guaranteed call to myself because the site is down. I'll look into how hard it would be to do this and possibly just wire the switch to swap over from HIM to Network control.

I would hard wired the commands from the plc to the drive and use a toggle in parallel if needed.

This was mentioned by Rockwell... but it smacks in the face of having a nice network connection and a lot of the code pre-made in PlantPAX and not being able to use it.

But as mentioned above, I want it dummy proof to avoid grief in the future.

I would suggest programming the drive to go into manual control mode if it looses communication. Once in manual the drive can be controlled from a remote mounted HIM module or from hard wired pushbuttons. You could also program one of the inputs to force the drive into manual even if the communications are still okay. That way you have control of when the drive switches back to PLC control.

I would suggest programming the drive to go into manual control mode if it looses communication. Once in manual the drive can be controlled from a remote mounted HIM module or from hard wired pushbuttons. You could also program one of the inputs to force the drive into manual even if the communications are still okay. That way you have control of when the drive switches back to PLC control.

Any indication of which parameters it would be to do this? Going through the manual it's not quite clear which it would be.