US job market

HLM

Hi,

I am an American working in Japan.
I have been working here for 10 years and I am considering a move back to the US very soon.
But, I have been away for so long that I do not know what the job market is like there anymore. When I left, it wasn't very good.

I have one year experience designing sputtering and etching machines and controlling them with OMRON and Mitsubishi PLCs.(No AB experience.)
I am also fluent in Japanese.
I have other skills but I am excited about PLC work and want to pursue it also I know this is not a place to post my resume.

Just wanted to get some idea what the situation is really like in the US.
Many jobs available? Salary ranges?
And I assume that the move from OMRON to AB is not so difficult???

Thank you.

Thanks for your reply.

I would prefer to stick with Omron.
I mistakenly thought that AB had such a big part of the market in the US that most companies may require it be used as their standard.
In the company I work at now almost any PLC is OK if it is Japanese.:)

I don't have plans of returning to any specific area yet.
I am from Florida but I will relocate to just about anywhere if the opportunity is there.

HLM

The semiconductor field uses sputter and etching techniques. They are concentrated primarily in the San Jose CA area and Austin TX. Also, there is some semiconductor industry in Virginia and Massachucetts. Their machines are controlled by PC and PLC technology.
Regarding PLC experience, once you know one type, the learning curve is shorter for the others. Yes, AB is big in the US so learn it any way you can. That will only help your employment chances. Good Luck.

With fluency in Japanese, you could do a huge service to the English-speaking world by taking a job translating technical manuals from Japanese to English.

The majority of manuals from Japanese vendors have been translated by a person whose native language is not English. The result is Jenglish, which is frequently synonymous with gibberish.

You might be able to do it as an independent contractor to supplement your income from your day job.

Man, I gotta say I like Steve's suggestion. I am lucky enough not to have to use any Jinglish manuals right now, but dang, when I have to I pull my hair out. A good translation is invaluable.

:nodi:

Might want to think about talking with the Japanese companies that are here, Nissan, Honda, etc. We have a Nissan plant in Symrna, TN and they are buiding a Honda plant in Lincoln/Pell City, AL. There are a multitude of other companies and with your knowledge of the Japanese language you should make a good fit in one of the companies engineering department.

Put your resume/portfolio together and network, the headhunters will be glad to see you available.