You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #1
MHennel
United States

Arc Flash Single Phase

I have an enclosure that has 24VDC in it except for a Graceport programming port mounted on the door that has a 120VAC receptacle on it for a powering a laptop with the door closed. I am trying to determine what if any effect the terminals on the back of the Graceport have to the Arc Flash category and incident boundary. The receptacle is feed from a 1kVA transformer in a separate enclosure that has a 5A circuit breaker in front of it. I can find nothing on calculating Arc Flash on a 120VAC single phase system. Does anyone have information on how to calculate the Arc Flash boundary for something like this. Until 2009 anything feed by a single transformer of less than 125kVA were not required to be evaluated for Arc Flash risk.
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #2
RussB
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I gotta watch this one.

What is this world turning into?
"Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Old July 29th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Lancie1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

If the 120 volt AC terminals on the back are insulated or covered, then the Risk Category is 0. If they are exposed, it goes up to 1, depending on the type of work to be done in the area according to NFPA Table 130.7(C)(9).
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum