Logix Designer - Failed to Create Module Profile

There isn't an order that Logix5000 installations have to be installed.

I honestly believe that the EN2T AOP still isn't installed despite the OP's insistance that it is. I'd uninstall it (assuming it is) and reinstall it.

A co-worker and Rockwell support told me otherwise when I installed Studio/Logix/etc. 5000 on a new PC. Do you mean I could have just installed the latest version and then reinstalled older versions as and when I needed them? I specifically asked RA about this and they told me to install them one at a time from the earliest I thought I would need.

amberman said:
A co-worker and Rockwell support told me otherwise when I installed Studio/Logix/etc. 5000 on a new PC. Do you mean I could have just installed the latest version and then reinstalled older versions as and when I needed them? I specifically asked RA about this and they told me to install them one at a time from the earliest I thought I would need.

The installation order does indeed matter. If you install something newer first and then install something older after, you may overwrite versions of interdependent software that will render the newer software inoperable. FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) being one example. Module Profiles or Motion Databases being others.

Regards,
George

Popo Karimu said:
Good day George,

None of the folders that you mentioned exists in the "Module Profiles" folder(see image "moduleprof"). I attempted to install AOP for Ethernet (images moduleprof2 to moduleprof4)but still failed to add 1756-EN2T on my module profile list.

Thanks,
Andrei K.

Your "Module Profiles" folder is effectively empty. The most important folder that should be there before any MPs are installed is the "Core" folder. This contains the MP Core files. Your Studio 5000 v24 installation package, for some reason, is not successfully installing the MP Core. Without this none of the MPs can be added. This is why your downloaded AOP for the Ethernet modules is showing blank. This is why your module selection is effectively empty. You have no MPs installed.

When the installation begins you will indeed see the "Initializing Module Profiles" during the initial setup. It takes some time because there are a lot to be unpacked and prepared for the installation.

After that initial setup, when you are selecting the components and tools to be installed, and Logix Designer is checked, you will notice that "Module Profiles" is also checked and cannot be unchecked. This is because they are installed by default and are not optional. So it should not be the case that you are installing Studio 5000 and forgetting to check "Module Profiles" at that step. It should attempt to install them automatically.

Here you can see that with Logix Designer checked (v28.00 in this example), Module Profiles is also checked by default...
Studio_5000_installation.bmp

What is happening after that I am not sure? But looking at your folder contents it is not installing anything MP related? Do you watch the entire installation as closely as you can? Are you certain there are no messages displayed during the installation that you may have missed? One that shows temporarily and then moves on?

So you know...

The installation files for the MP you are looking for, and many, many other stock MPs, are located within your installation media, or should be. This is because each version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 preloads a set of MPs at certain versions. Newer versions of software will progressively install newer MP versions that are available at the time of the software's release. To view a list of all MPs installed with each version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000, have a look here...

54564 - RSLogix5000 Module Profiles installed by default
Access Level: TechConnect

If you can, and have bothered to look, you may notice that Studio 5000 v24 installs MP v10 for the Ethernet modules...

Example:

Rockwell Automation, Inc.-1st Party 1756-EN2T (10.00.3664.0)

Whereas Studio 5000 v28 installs MP v14...

Example:

Rockwell Automation, Inc.-1st Party 1756-EN2T (14.00.4058.0)

Back to the issue...

I'm not sure exactly what is going wrong with your installation when you launch it via "Setup.exe", but you can optionally attempt to install the MP Core separately.

Go to...

<Your installation media>\24.00.00-Studio5000\LogixDesigner\MP\Install

...and run...

MPSetup.msi

If that folder or file is missing then I would suspect you have incomplete installation media. It would not be the first time that installation files were missing from a Rockwell download. Make sure that not only do you have the "MP\Install" folder above, but also that within the "MP" folder itself you see a "Core" folder and multiple MP folders...
Studio_5000_MP_Core_Install_Files.bmp

Regards,
George

Your "Module Profiles" folder is effectively empty. The most important folder that should be there before any MPs are installed is the "Core" folder. This contains the MP Core files. Your Studio 5000 v24 installation package, for some reason, is not successfully installing the MP Core. Without this none of the MPs can be added. This is why your downloaded AOP for the Ethernet modules is showing blank. This is why your module selection is effectively empty. You have no MPs installed.

When the installation begins you will indeed see the "Initializing Module Profiles" during the initial setup. It takes some time because there are a lot to be unpacked and prepared for the installation.

After that initial setup, when you are selecting the components and tools to be installed, and Logix Designer is checked, you will notice that "Module Profiles" is also checked and cannot be unchecked. This is because they are installed by default and are not optional. So it should not be the case that you are installing Studio 5000 and forgetting to check "Module Profiles" at that step. It should attempt to install them automatically.

Here you can see that with Logix Designer checked (v28.00 in this example), Module Profiles is also checked by default...
Studio_5000_installation.bmp

What is happening after that I am not sure? But looking at your folder contents it is not installing anything MP related? Do you watch the entire installation as closely as you can? Are you certain there are no messages displayed during the installation that you may have missed? One that shows temporarily and then moves on?

So you know...

The installation files for the MP you are looking for, and many, many other stock MPs, are located within your installation media, or should be. This is because each version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 preloads a set of MPs at certain versions. Newer versions of software will progressively install newer MP versions that are available at the time of the software's release. To view a list of all MPs installed with each version of RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000, have a look here...

54564 - RSLogix5000 Module Profiles installed by default
Access Level: TechConnect

If you can, and have bothered to look, you may notice that Studio 5000 v24 installs MP v10 for the Ethernet modules...

Example:

Rockwell Automation, Inc.-1st Party 1756-EN2T (10.00.3664.0)

Whereas Studio 5000 v28 installs MP v14...

Example:

Rockwell Automation, Inc.-1st Party 1756-EN2T (14.00.4058.0)

Back to the issue...

I'm not sure exactly what is going wrong with your installation when you launch it via "Setup.exe", but you can optionally attempt to install the MP Core separately.

Go to...

<Your installation media>\24.00.00-Studio5000\LogixDesigner\MP\Install

...and run...

MPSetup.msi

If that folder or file is missing then I would suspect you have incomplete installation media. It would not be the first time that installation files were missing from a Rockwell download. Make sure that not only do you have the "MP\Install" folder above, but also that within the "MP" folder itself you see a "Core" folder and multiple MP folders...
Studio_5000_MP_Core_Install_Files.bmp

Regards,
George

Good day Geospark,

I appreciate the response! I seem to not have the selection option for "module profiles" on my Logix Designer installation (see image no_mod_prof). I also seem to have the complete files for module profiles in the installation folder. However, when I attempted to install and click on "MPSetup.msi", it prompted me a message to run "Setup.exe" instead (see image mpsetup).

no_mod_prof.png mpsetup.jpg

The installation order does indeed matter. If you install something newer first and then install something older after, you may overwrite versions of interdependent software that will render the newer software inoperable. FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) being one example. Module Profiles or Motion Databases being others.

Regards,
George

Guess I'll find out firsthand. I just received a new computer at work and intentionally installed V28 - V10 (reverse order) to save time. The time savings is that I'm not installing RSLogix and all the other extra software each time because it recognizes a newer version already installed.

FINALLY SOLVED THIS FREAKING PROBLEM!!!

Simple... just install Logix software on a NEW COMPUTER!

OK! To go through the problem from scratch, I checked the contents of RSLogix Module Profile folder under...

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles

... and found out that my corrupted PC's Module Profile folder is EMPTY!

>>> Installed RSLogix software on a fresh PC, checked the Module Profiles folder and there you can see a list of Module Profiles.

>>> Copy pasted the Module Profiles folder from the fresh PC onto my working laptop... and now THE CULPRIT... the 4 "Module Profile dll's" found at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell

1) ModuleBrowseInfo.dll
2) ModuleDirectory.dll
3) ModuleDirectory.xml
4) MPModuleDirectory.dll

>>> I copy pasted the 4 dll files from the fresh PC to my working laptop and voila... problem solved!

Thanks everyone for the help and hope I could be helpful to others who would encounter the same problem.

Guess my struggle is far from over. I still encounter a problem with 1756-EN2T. Each time I attempt to create 1756-EN2T module on my project, an error message prompts "Failed to instantiate Module Profile. Profile services failed to instantiate. Class not registered,, Error 8612-80040154. Oh man, I'm getting tired of this already! :(

Hurray.... Thanks dude...

I was struggling since last week..
Though all module profile was present ... Reinstalled everything, but didn't work.

Finally 4 culprit files from working PC copied ... That worked like a charm...
Thanks again..

FINALLY SOLVED THIS FREAKING PROBLEM!!!

Simple... just install Logix software on a NEW COMPUTER!

OK! To go through the problem from scratch, I checked the contents of RSLogix Module Profile folder under...

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Module Profiles

... and found out that my corrupted PC's Module Profile folder is EMPTY!

>>> Installed RSLogix software on a fresh PC, checked the Module Profiles folder and there you can see a list of Module Profiles.

>>> Copy pasted the Module Profiles folder from the fresh PC onto my working laptop... and now THE CULPRIT... the 4 "Module Profile dll's" found at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Rockwell

1) ModuleBrowseInfo.dll
2) ModuleDirectory.dll
3) ModuleDirectory.xml
4) MPModuleDirectory.dll

>>> I copy pasted the 4 dll files from the fresh PC to my working laptop and voila... problem solved!

Thanks everyone for the help and hope I could be helpful to others who would encounter the same problem.