RSLogix 5 software for Legacy PLC5 $$$$

EICS

Well today I approached my Rockwell Sales rep for a quote on a Licence for RSLogix 5 software for Allen Bradley Legacy PLC5
thinking it may be a $2-3K, but he came back with AUD $10,165 :eek:what a ridiculous price for legacy software.

i obviously cannot justify this and I think I still have an older version (V6.00) kicking around somewhere and an even older EVMOVE file for it. just crazy.

Here in America if we want to purchase a replacement PLC5 CPU we have to fill out an application and if approved a new CPU was $45,000 US a couple years ago.

Obviously they want you to upgrade to ControlLogix

EDIT: And I dropped the PLC-5 from the Legacy part of my TechConnect contract because that was more than any of the other covered components.

Last edited:
Well today I approached my Rockwell Sales rep for a quote on a Licence for RSLogix 5 software for Allen Bradley Legacy PLC5
thinking it may be a $2-3K, but he came back with AUD $10,165 :eek:what a ridiculous price for legacy software.

i obviously cannot justify this and I think I still have an older version (V6.00) kicking around somewhere and an even older EVMOVE file for it. just crazy.

If you still have a valid license, you should be able to carry on using it. In the past Rockwell Tech support has upgraded activations for me from EVRSI to Factory Talk Activations at no charge and quite quickly. Then you should be able to install the latest and greatest version of RSLogix 5.

If you still have a valid license, you should be able to carry on using it. In the past Rockwell Tech support has upgraded activations for me from EVRSI to Factory Talk Activations at no charge and quite quickly. Then you should be able to install the latest and greatest version of RSLogix 5.

Install = yes. RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 can have any version installed using their serial number. Any version of RSL5 will work with the EVRSI license (as far as I know - the latest version I can see is v8). RSL500 up to v9.00 will work with EVRSI. RSL500 v9.05 & up requires FactoryTalk.

Download a version higher than v6 without a current TechConnect contract, or if the original purchase was within 1 year before v6 was released, with PLC5 legacy = NO

But my reading of the OP seems he has RSL5 and wants another license probably for another computer.

How easy is it to upgrade from a PLC5 w/ Rs Logix 5 to a compact logix using 5000? I have few old machines we are looking to upgrade. Do they have any software that allows the program .acd file to be converted easily, or is it more manual typing everything in? Thanks,

Rockwell has a free conversion utility that will convert SLC and PLC 5 programs to ControlLogix.

It is pretty easy to get the initial conversion, but does need going through manually.

All timers are converted to millisecond base any all calls for the preset or accumulator need changed by hand.

Sometimes it doesn't bring the tags or comments from all lines, and sometimes it does.

Any BTW or BTR instructions are changed to MSG instructions and the settings need gone over. (for analog IO and additional racks, and other items)

Here in America if we want to purchase a replacement PLC5 CPU we have to fill out an application and if approved a new CPU was $45,000 US a couple years ago.

Obviously they want you to upgrade to ControlLogix

EDIT: And I dropped the PLC-5 from the Legacy part of my TechConnect contract because that was more than any of the other covered components.

Due to the amount we have still in service onsite i have purchased a few used PLC5/40E (Series F with RJ 45 onboard) units for approx AUD$5k about 10 mths ago to replace some 5/25 Classics and 5/20 Enhanced models.
these interface nicely to compact and Control logix systems we also have that will eventually replace these old CPU's

Last edited:
Quote" EDIT: And I dropped the PLC-5 from the Legacy part of my TechConnect contract because that was more than any of the other covered components.".
As did I, the legacy hardware support contract was 55% of my TechConnect contract.
Maybe I should sell one of my Logix 5 packages.http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/images/smilies/wink.gif

X2 on this, just could not justify the cost

Install = yes. RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 can have any version installed using their serial number. Any version of RSL5 will work with the EVRSI license (as far as I know - the latest version I can see is v8). RSL500 up to v9.00 will work with EVRSI. RSL500 v9.05 & up requires FactoryTalk.

Download a version higher than v6 without a current TechConnect contract, or if the original purchase was within 1 year before v6 was released, with PLC5 legacy = NO

But my reading of the OP seems he has RSL5 and wants another license probably for another computer.

this is EXACTLY what i wanted to do as i was getting frustrtaed with only having one machine set up, it has the dongle but i still need to go to that location to get the dongle.

Just getting back to this today, will try to install RSL5 V8 and see if my old EVmove license works still

How easy is it to upgrade from a PLC5 w/ Rs Logix 5 to a compact logix using 5000? I have few old machines we are looking to upgrade. Do they have any software that allows the program .acd file to be converted easily, or is it more manual typing everything in? Thanks,

As someone that played with this possibility, it's a wasted "investment"... whilst it may save some headache in the process of upgrading, the troubleshooting time in the future and lost opportunity in improving the design isn't worth it.