Interview question !!!

i was in an interview and i got this question

what is pointer in S7-300 ?
what is it used for ?
can you do a simple project with it using ladder ?

my expression was :whistle::rolleyes::unsure:

how can u do a number of 20 conveyor start/stop ?
i said i can do it with FC or FB but this will creat a DB for each and then call it in OB1

What is a pointer used for normally? To programmatically loop through data, in this case, it can be DBs, internal memory, peripheral memory, etc... there is also something to say about creating a pointer in Simatic which is anything but easy and I doubt anyone knows this by heart without a sheat sheet.

If the conveyors are controlled each by a separate PLC, you can multicast the command. You can broadcast as well, but it's not as elegant of a solution.

What is a pointer used for normally? To programmatically loop through data, in this case, it can be DBs, internal memory, peripheral memory, etc... there is also something to say about creating a pointer in Simatic which is anything but easy and I doubt anyone knows this by heart without a sheat sheet.

If the conveyors are controlled each by a separate PLC, you can multicast the command. You can broadcast as well, but it's not as elegant of a solution.

i think i didn't get the answer
i can find pointer in FC and FB ( variable table - selection on data type )
and the answer of the conveyor i think my answer was good but he ask the question may be it's related to the pointer :confused: