Compactlogix L32E Date/Time Issue

CAAJ

Hello All,

I am having a problem on my controller with Date/Time where these values seems to float away from the actual Date/Time. Is there any way to prevent the PLC's Date/Time parameters from floating? Is there maybe a way where I could sync the PLC to the desktop Date/Time?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you

CAAJ

:D

Clock drift is a problem with any computer system. We don't notice it in the modern Internet-connected world, but with an embedded system that's subject to wide temperature swings, oscillator drift always causes clock drift.

The most common way to handle it is the Logix 5000 Clock Update Tool. This runs on a server or workstation PC that's connected to your automation network and also has a connection to a real-world time server (whether internal to your network, or out on the Internet).

The Clock Update Tool then sends the current time down to controllers periodically, based on a schedule you configure.

That tool is an installation option for Logix 5000, and is on the RA Knowledgebase (well, it's probably in the RA Knowledgebase, which has been having some infrastructure problems this week).

Thank you Ken,

I have downloaded the tool and I am now able to add my devices which I need to synchronize, however when trying to sync I receive an error which states "Failed to synchronize device, please check connection". Is this a software bug? I'm running windows 7 and utilizing version 2.4.0 of the tool. Or have I not configured the tool properly?

Thank you Ken,

I have downloaded the tool and I am now able to add my devices which I need to synchronize, however when trying to sync I receive an error which states "Failed to synchronize device, please check connection". Is this a software bug? I'm running windows 7 and utilizing version 2.4.0 of the tool. Or have I not configured the tool properly?

It is hard not to configure the tool properly...

"check connection", in RA Speak, infers that the tool cannot "see" the device, but since you add devices using RSLinx's browser, I can't see how you can get it wrong.

Thought I'd try it myself, I've got a 1756-L62 in slot 1, a 1756-L63 in slot 4, and an old 1756-L1 in slot 5.

The only one that the tool succesfully synchronises is the old 5550, and I get the same errors as you on the L6x controllers.

2017-07-25_002318.jpg

Older versions of the Logix 5000 Clock Update Tool are not supported on Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. For Windows 7 you should be using at least version 2.5.0 of the tool. Support was specifically added for this environment with this version.

You can download the latest version of the tool for free here...

44321 - Logix5000 Clock Update Tool
Access Level: Everyone

v2.5.2 is the latest available from there, at the time of writing.

Regards,
George

Older versions of the Logix 5000 Clock Update Tool are not supported on Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. For Windows 7 you should be using at least version 2.5.0 of the tool. Support was specifically added for this environment with this version.

You can download the latest version of the tool for free here...

44321 - Logix5000 Clock Update Tool
Access Level: Everyone

v2.5.2 is the latest available from there, at the time of writing.

Regards,
George

Yes, that sorted that problem... thanks George

EDIT : can't modify the Event Start Time - just keep getting "Unspecified Error". I was thinking that if you had something like hourly reports to compile, you would want to synchronise clocks just before the hour, so tried setting the Event Start time to XX:59:59 (1 second before the "hour"), error - tried other times - error... etc., etc.

2017-07-25_005829.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff. Thanks for checking Dave.

Geospark Clock Update Tool: 1:00am!

Bedtime methinks?

26 port Stratix 8000, PACs, PV5500, AENTRs, bunch of PF525s all waiting for me in the now morning! Oh it's shutdown week alright.

Cannot wait...

Night...G.

Hello All,

After downloading the latest version I am now getting an error when opening the tool that says, "The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem". Even after repairing/reinstalling, same error continues to arise. Has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, is there a fix?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you

CAAJ

This appears to be related to Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. The mfc100.dll file belongs to this software...

554413 - Clock Update Tool is giving an error with mfc100.dll
Access Level: TechConnect

You need to install or reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package as per the technote above. This should hopefully solve your issue.

Regards,
George