Mitsubishi C64 Control need programming

dpionk

I have a customer of mine that had any issue with a custom built rod chamfering machine.
They had a complaint that the CNC would not load. The battery had died and they had not powered the machine up for 6 months. As per mitsubishi tech support suggestion was that there was probably corrupted data in its memory due to the dead battery. I cleared it by turning CS1 switch to 7, power on, power off, CS1 to 0, then power up again. This cleared the memory and the machine loaded with no parameters. I loaded the parameters back into the machine but after further investigation the PLC program is gone.

The machine tool builder, Universal Automatic, went bankrupt and was bought out in 2011. I have contacted the company the purchased them and have gotten all the files they had on the machine, which was not many. They had a few files from the GX developer project. Not sure how they had some and not all. Without a complete project folder I can not make what they got me to make a workable machine.

I am a PLC programmer, electrical control machine repair, retrofit, but I do not have any experience programming this CNC PLC. I have contacted several companies trying to get someone that has knowledge of programming this control but everyone of them are "too busy".

Is there someone on here that knows of or has experience with this CNC control and programming them? The machine is located in Macomb County, Michigan.

The machine seems to be a simple operation. There are two spindles facing each other mounted to a lead screw controlled by a mitsubishi servo drive.

Any more information needed I can try to provide. I do have prints for the machine.
20170624_105130_zps45g4s6xe.jpg

20170627_180657_zpslaetpvkc.jpg

Can you post what you have at least got? We can have a look at it to see if you have enough to put this back together?

Have you tried connecting to the controller with GX developer and trying to read from the PLC. You'll need the SC-Q cable

Can you post what you have at least got? We can have a look at it to see if you have enough to put this back together?

Have you tried connecting to the controller with GX developer and trying to read from the PLC. You'll need the SC-Q cable

I have uploaded what I was given. From what I have been researching and learning about GX dev projects it looks like they sent me the M1Main which would be a message file for the Main.WPG file that would be the actual ladder. I'm sort of baffled that they would have some of these files and not the rest of the project.

They claim that this is all that they have for backups on the machine. It was like squeezing blood from a stone to get them to search for these files. I wonder if I offered them some money for their time if they'd be willing to search a little harder. I was thinking about sending them a folder structure example of what the GX dev project would look like in efforts of aiding in finding the rest of the project.

I have been trying all the local companies in the area to see if anyone will help with this machine but I am getting a lot of to busy's and don't know how's. o_O

Not sure I'm much help looking at this. I've managed to bodge the files into a GX Developer project - you can see the message statements in the M1MAIN file (select statement under the view menu) although Im sure there is missing information

Heres a link to the programming manual:

https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/f...-base/getdocument/?docid=3E26SJWH3ZZR-24-2179

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this older platform can help out more

Good luck on that one. I would start digging around in boxes at the company. I mean really start searching. Surely at some point they had a backup of those files.

Otherwise, too bad you are so far away. With a set of prints and someone who has a lot of experience running the machine i'm 100% certain we could get it up and running.

Also, you need to go ahead and go to the servo drives and pull the parameters off of them. Seriously, do this first. The drive configuration and give you a good head start on getting the motion control working.

If you end of having to start from scratch, I would go with a platform you ARE familiar with to speed up the process if you aren't already familiar with mitsubishi. They are already going to spend thousands getting this machine back online, what is a few more to get it back to making money sooner?

Last edited:
@raffles Thanks, That's where I pretty much ended up with the files I was given also. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it!

@sparkie I agree, I feel like this machine is up ***** creek without finding the original programming to it. Retrofiting it with a motion system that I understand would be a faster solution if backups are not able to be located.

Thanks for your responces. I will update if I end up finding something.