Help w/ PLC selection, single axis drive

gschwab

I'm building a single axis system for a custom grinding operation we have. I'll be using a .200 pitch ball screw direct drive from possibly a Sure Step STP-DRV-80100 drive and a STP-MTRH-34127 motor from Automation Direct.

I need some guidance as to which PLC I should use, I would like to stay with the AD DirectLogic series as I have a few of those in other machines here so I have at least some idea of how to program them.

What I would like to do

Have 2 modes AUTO and MANUAL selectable by a 2 pos. switch

In manual mode I would like to have the screw follow a manual pulse generator (like you see on CNC machines) which I have. it is 12V A/B Quadrature output.

I would like to have a 3 pos. "resolution" switch for the pulse generator signal, something like X1 = .001" movement per generator step, X10=.010" and X100=.100". So in maunaul mode the operator can move quickly to get close the slowly approach the part.

In AUTO feed mode I would have 2 variables,

a)feed speed (or amount) say 0 - .010" per feed pulse

b)feed delay (or delay between feed pulses)say 0 - 10 seconds between feed pulses

Perhaps these could be set with potentiometers? the operator would need to be able to easily and quickly adjust these settings while watching his ammeter to get the appropriate feed rate

of course I would have the usual things like overtravel and E-STOP switches etc.

This project will require a little more advanced programming so does anyone here have any experiance with the PLC Training DVD Series available on this site and do you think I would be able to learn enough from it to program something like this?

Any input or suggestions are appreciated
Thank You,
George