Remote access with Cisco QuickVPN Client

leonlai

Hi everyone,

I want to connect (remote) access to ML1400 thru internet !
Client use Cisco Quick VPN, they gave me servername 68.x.x.x and I'm able to connect to their server by Cisco QuickVPN.
However, after connected, I cannot see the ML1400 (which has IP address is 192.168.3.x) by RSLinx.
I connected through wireless network !
Is there anything I missing ? Like any step need to be done or any other software I need to install ??

Thank

Hi everyone,

I want to connect (remote) access to ML1400 thru internet !
Client use Cisco Quick VPN, they gave me servername 68.x.x.x and I'm able to connect to their server by Cisco QuickVPN.
However, after connected, I cannot see the ML1400 (which has IP address is 192.168.3.x) by RSLinx.
I connected through wireless network !
Is there anything I missing ? Like any step need to be done or any other software I need to install ??

Thank

If they gave you a IP that begins with 68.x.x.x then it's their public ip to connect to their VPN and it's a Comcast IP so Comcast internet service.

Their VPN should have given you a DHCP address on the LAN the PLC is on. You likely need a address in the private range like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Sounds like the IT group still has some work to do.

Be sure to use the "Ethernet Devices" driver in RSLinx Classic, not the "EtherNet/IP" driver.

The broadcast browsing mechanism used by the EtherNet/IP driver will not work with VPN connections.

I agree that the basic IT stuff needs to be taken care of first: until the Cisco QuickVPN client shows you have an IP address on the local network (192.168.3.x) then you're not going to get anywhere.

Whenever I diagnose connectivity problems to an A-B PLC over Ethernet, the tools I use are:

1. IPCONFIG from the command line.
2. PING from the command line.
3. TCPING.EXE from the command line, to Ports 2222 and 44818.
4. HTTP from a Web Browser
and only then...
5. RSLinx Classic or Enterprise

Hello, I was busy for a week so kinda late in response the thread !

When I get connected in QuickVPN;
I ping Micrologix ---> no response
I ping C-more touch screen -----> I get response

As Ken Roach said, I changed to Ethernet Devices on RSLinx (thank for pointing out) !!

So this mean the VPN works right, right ? But some how I still cannot ping the Micrologix ??? on Micrologix I set static IP address, default getway like 255.255.255.0; and the rest is no changed;

Did I miss something in setting Micrologix ???

thanks

Hello, I was busy for a week so kinda late in response the thread !

When I get connected in QuickVPN;
I ping Micrologix ---> no response
I ping C-more touch screen -----> I get response

As Ken Roach said, I changed to Ethernet Devices on RSLinx (thank for pointing out) !!

So this mean the VPN works right, right ? But some how I still cannot ping the Micrologix ??? on Micrologix I set static IP address, default getway like 255.255.255.0; and the rest is no changed;

Did I miss something in setting Micrologix ???

thanks

The default gateway will be on the same ip range as the rest of the internal LAN - hence it will be 192.168.3.x - looks from above your putting 255.255.255.0 (which is a class c subnet mask) - apologies if this isn't the case but that looks like what you've done after reading above.

If you need to find the default gateway address - when your connected internally - open a command prompt - ipconfig will show you the address to use - assuming the router providing VPN access is the same as the default gateway router (which isn't always the case)

Hope that helps

sorry, I mean Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
default getway I think I did not set in micrologix 1400; should I set the default getway in micrologx1400 ??

sorry, I mean Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
default getway I think I did not set in micrologix 1400; should I set the default getway in micrologx1400 ??

Yes - set the gateway, else VPNs will not work - I saw the same thing recently on a TS server, as soon as the gateway was set remote access worked correctly

here is what I did:
in Configuring Ethernet port in Micrologix 1400:
1) I set Stati IP 192.168.3.x
2) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
3) Getway address: (I think I did not set it up)
4) DNS : (I think I did not set it up too, like leave it like manufacture default)
---> In ENET Cfg --> Port Setting:
1) Auto: Enable 10/100M F/H (default)
or I SHOULD CHANGE TO (Auto: Disable 100M Full force ??)

Is that the problems come from here ???

Thanks

here is what I did:
in Configuring Ethernet port in Micrologix 1400:
1) I set Stati IP 192.168.3.x
2) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
3) Getway address: (I think I did not set it up)
4) DNS : (I think I did not set it up too, like leave it like manufacture default)
---> In ENET Cfg --> Port Setting:
1) Auto: Enable 10/100M F/H (default)
or I SHOULD CHANGE TO (Auto: Disable 100M Full force ??)

Is that the problems come from here ???

Thanks

Looks like your problem is from missing gateway. DNS can be left blank - only used for name resolution and when I've done comms between plcs on ml I've used a node address that you must define in the enet config ladder to another IP address, not name.
Port setting should also be fine on auto negotiation of network speed.

Thank you, I'll let the guy in east coast check and set gateway for me ! Then I (locate in West coast) will check to see if it work !

Thank you,every one, again !

Another good check - noting the points from above - when you connect via VPN can you ping any other devices on the network? If this doesn't work the VPN could still be working (firewall or router could block ICMP responses) - but if you were able to ping any other device it would show that the IT side was setup correctly

HTH

Sorry - just thought of something else - DNS server can be important depending on the VPN configuration - one of our clients has a large WAN in place & VPN only works if we specify DNS server at one site - even though we're connecting to another one. Might be best to check with IT if this is required on your site
Cheers

Yes, I let the IT guys set the gateway on ML1400 for me and Now I am able to get online & ping the device !

I'll keep in mind your advice with DNS / firewall / ping other devices for future trouble shoot problem !!

Thank alot Rob !