iFix Migration question(s)

Malador

Lifetime Supporting Member
Whats the best way to move iFix from a Server2008R2 machine to windows 10? The hardware is identical on both machines. Both are running iFix5.8

I thought it was as simple as installing iFix on the new computer and moving the PDB, PIC, and Local folder. But i get a black screen when i start ifix. I also can't accesses security in the SCU. Same windows user name on new/old machine.

Should I have used the backup/restore utility? I'd give it a try, but i won't be on the site with the current server for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
I done a few of these lately. You are doing the right steps, as far as I can remember. Even GE doesn't recommend using the Backup/Restore for upgrading.

I think it's security that's messing you up. I do remember something about disable security on the old machine then do the copy and paste.

Ok, I found some old notes. First, you need 5.8 SP2 per here:

https://digitalsupport.ge.com/en_US/Article/Supported-Operating-Systems-for-FIX32-and-iFIX

2nd, from my notes, you can probably skip over some of these:

*create a new SCU from scratch, take note from the old SCU file.

-. on existing system, disable security in SCU.
-. Report out security to Security.RPT - under file-Export and copy it
- re-enable security on existing system.
- on new machine, import the security file in the new SCU. Enable security.

Not just iFix, but for other also, I have put VMWare Converter on the server PC, make a VM clone & put it on an USB hard drive.

On the Win10 PC put VMWare player {free}, copy the Server VM to the hard drive, open Player & locate Server VM. When it opens MAKE SURE you select you MOVED the VM and it will open. {If you select COPIED IT Player will create a new VM based on it & you may lose licensing}

Keep an archive of the VM on your network server for any future need to replace.

Also, in the VM make sure the iFix dongle{s} are attached to the VM & not the host PC.

Not just iFix, but for other also, I have put VMWare Converter on the server PC, make a VM clone & put it on an USB hard drive.

On the Win10 PC put VMWare player {free}, copy the Server VM to the hard drive, open Player & locate Server VM. When it opens MAKE SURE you select you MOVED the VM and it will open. {If you select COPIED IT Player will create a new VM based on it & you may lose licensing}

Keep an archive of the VM on your network server for any future need to replace.

Also, in the VM make sure the iFix dongle{s} are attached to the VM & not the host PC.

Thanks for the tip. In the past I've used imaging/back up software to install a sever copy on a VM, but Rockwell licenses sometimes get messed up. This sounds much easier!