FactoryTalk View ME - "Higher upgrade already installed"

mylespetro

Hey everyone,

Trying to install FTView ME 9.00 on a new laptop, no existing FTView install. Every time the installer gets to ~55%, it fails and says that a higher upgrade is already installed. However, as I said, there is no existing install of FTView ME (or SE for that matter). It looks like the install actually worked, but when I try to open FTView, it says "This software requires personalized information that cannot be read. Please contact Rockwell Support."

I've tried uninstalling all of the FactoryTalk package and reinstalling but I keep getting the same result. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks!

EDIT: I've also tried running FTView ME as administrator, but I still get the error message about personalized information.

Of course the 4th time around, it decides to work for no real reason. Still not sure what the issue is, as I still got the failed installation error, but it worked when I opened FTView ME Station. Sorry for the false alarm I suppose!

Of course the 4th time around, it decides to work for no real reason. Still not sure what the issue is, as I still got the failed installation error, but it worked when I opened FTView ME Station. Sorry for the false alarm I suppose!

Huh, 4th time's the charm? Wait, that doesn't sound right...

FT View also includes other supporting tools. Those tools also come with other software like Studio 5000 or maybe even RSLinx. One of those packages installed tools that were newer than what comes with View 9.0. It should have detected that and stopped trying to install the older tools. Apparently, it ran into issues there.

The Rockwell Tech Note dmroeder listed showed several causes for the error message along with solutions.

Glad you got it working. If those problems reappear it would be worth checking out that document.

OG

FT View also includes other supporting tools. Those tools also come with other software like Studio 5000 or maybe even RSLinx. One of those packages installed tools that were newer than what comes with View 9.0. It should have detected that and stopped trying to install the older tools. Apparently, it ran into issues there.

The Rockwell Tech Note dmroeder listed showed several causes for the error message along with solutions.

Glad you got it working. If those problems reappear it would be worth checking out that document.

OG

I thought that may have been the case, but in the installer it had shown the utilities that were already installed at a higher upgrade level and didn't have them checked to be installed. In addition to that, it said in the popup something along the lines of "A higher upgrade of this program is already installed (FTView ME Station 9.00), so I thought that was the culprit specifically, but I wouldn't put it past AB software to not get that right.

I don't have a TechConnect contract unfortunately, so I wouldn't be able to read the KB article. I do appreciate the heads up though, thanks fellas!