1747-dtam

unsaint33

Our SLC500 5/02 had a CPU fault for an unknown reason. The program was gone so I had to re-download the program. And it's running now.

But 1747-DTAM that was connected to the PLC is not turning on. I'm sure what ever that caused the PLC CPU fault also took out the DTAM. We tried different cable, so we know the cable is good. The cable has RJ45 that plugs into the SLC 500 CPU's DH485 port. The manual says it's either the DTAM is bad or PLC chassis power supply is bad. The DTAM does not have a separate 24V power input terminals. It gets power from the DH485 port of the CPU card via the same comm cable.

To rule out a bad DTAM, I want to connect it to another SLC500. Does anyone know if I can connect it to SLC500 1747-L20C? The DTAM manual says I can connect the DTAM module to an SLC 5/04 or later processor.

Since the 1747-DTAM supports DH485 protocol and gets its power from the DH485 cable, you can connect it to any SLC controller that has a native DH485 port.

That includes the "shoebox" models like the 1747-L20C and -L40C, as well as the modular SLC-5/01, and SLC-5/02, and SLC-5/03.

To connect to an SLC-5/04 or -5/05 or MicroLogix you would need some serial converters and isolators and extra cables.

Dtam

my floppy with my DTAM software no longer works (yes I have a floppy drive) and I tried with Windows 3.1 (yikes) and XP.. when I try to install the disk spins and indicates it being read and then the pc (or laptop) simply do nothing (on xp the dos window simply stays open indefinitely). Any chance any one has a copy of the software? I tried my distributor and they can't help (at least currently). I simply need to open an existing DTAM file and document whats there. Thanks, Bob

Hey Bob !

I assume you're talking about the configurable DTAM Plus, rather than the original 1747-DTAM "Data Table Access Module" that basically auto-detects data tables and lets you modify them by address.

Rockwell turned over sales and support of the DTAM Plus to Spectrum Controls, who sold them until 2010 or so.

They should still have the software, which should support terminals like the 2707-M232P3scV2 and the 2707-M485P3scV2.

Email "support at spectrumcontrols.com" or call them by phone and they should be able to send a download link.

One reason they don't make it available freely is the inevitable requests for free support on something a decade+ out of support, and the other is that there are two versions, DPS, and DPSv2. If you download with v2 onto one of the pre-v2 A-B units, you'll make an unrepairable brick.

I can't speak for their current policies: I don't work there and haven't touched a DTAM or DTAM+ for decades. But if anyone can help, it'll be Spectrum.

Dtam

nope... I'm talking about the ancient DTAM using the 2707-NP software. I actually have a client that still has one. Trying to install it (yup I still have a floppy drive and both Windows 3.1 and XP) but my original disk has a problem. My distributor can't help (currently).. I'm just trying to open the old file and document some addresses being used. My disk is Ser-k V10.00. Bob

That *might* be supported by the original DPS; you can give Spectrum a call and ask if they've got it. Since you're uploading instead of downloading there's probably little risk.

Dtam

thanks.. actually I haven't touched a DTAM or DTAM+ for decades either.. this is an old pharma system.. I was called to replace a battery and add an eeprom to a 5/03.. they have a DTAM.. they've been going around for years discussing upgrading parts of their system.. I simply thought it prudent to document the DTAM. I'll give Spectrum a try.. thanks again!! have a great day!! Bob