VMWare question

alan_505

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently moved my VM's to another computer and when I try to open, it asks whether I moved it or copied it, I seem to remember that someone said the best way to answer that question but I cannot remember which one it was.

One other question, what files are essential for a VM to function, ie which files don't I delete to make the image to work.

Alan

It's been a while, but I do remember that if it's not closed down correctly you can delete the .lck files. I am not sure if this applies in your current situation, hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this subject for you.

The "Copied" option will generate a new UUID, where as the "Moved" option will maintain the UUID.

The "Moved" will keep things like the MAC address, OS Drive serial number, etc. this is important if you have software licenses tied to MAC or Drive.

I usually select the "Moved" option to keep my RA licenses active.

The "Copied" option will generate a new UUID, where as the "Moved" option will maintain the UUID.

The "Moved" will keep things like the MAC address, OS Drive serial number, etc. this is important if you have software licenses tied to MAC or Drive.

I usually select the "Moved" option to keep my RA licenses active.

Agree. I always use Move.

"Copy" may prompt Windows Activation and might require manufacturer software be reactivated as well. Maybe, not always.

"Move" will not require Windows reactivation. But since it does not change the UUID, Computer Name, MAC address, and IP address, you could have two VMs with the same identifying information. If they were both active on a network at the same time it might cause a conflict. I manage this by setting them to Host Only networking until I can rename the Windows computer name.

For RA licensing, I always use Move. Copy generates a new hard drive serial number. I can change it back, but it is just easier to Move.

And yes, the LCK files/folders can be deleted. These are generated whenever the VM has been opened (even if it hasn't been started). Beyond that, I don't delete anything else.

OG