slc 150

exiled

hi guys ive just been handed a little task of getting a machine up and running (been stashed away in some corner for years because it "it dont work proper" :rolleyes: ) that is running with a slc150 and TCAT interface attached.

my Q is what software package is used? is it still avilable/supported? and also the same with the TCAT

many thanks kev

SLC-150

The SLC-100/150 requires a rs232-rs422 interfase which is very unusual now, very dificult to buy and expensive, the sofware same situation.

Why don´t you buy a new PLC ?

thanks chaps
i did half expect that to be the case and have already put into motion the idea of putting a new unit in there.
thanks again
kev

slc 100 150

I have the software and the cable .

Found both on <<hehehe>> E-Bay cheap

let me know if i can help in anyway, the software is pretty obscure but still neat to use considering the age it was written in..

exiled,

I had the recent pleasure up updating a SLC-150 application using the PCIS software and had no significant problems. My only frustration was not being able to set multiple outputs on one rung. A couple of quirks.

- In order for the program to reliaby load and execute from an installed EEPROM on power-up, the SLC must have been in the RUN mode at the time of power down. It sounds like a no-brainer, but when frequently saving to the SLC during debug, I would occasionally need to return to the program stored on the EEPROM, and it wouldn't load the EEPROM code because I forgot to put it back in RUN mode. Piece of cake to return it to RUN mode, but the darn thing didn't have the courtesy of telling me it didn't load the EEPROM program on power-up and was executing my last SAVE-to-SLC program instead. Until I learned this trait after a series of inconsistently successful EEPROM loads, I was not confident of my SLC-150 programming.

- Setting the correct baud rate is important. The COM port baud rate must match the SLC baud rate exactly. We have four 150's and two are 2400 and two are 9600, naturally. More time and confidence lost working that one out. Once I did, I had zero problems communicating between the laptop and the SCL-150s. Installing/removing the cable with power on was not a problem. Confidence was improving nicely at this point.

- Always, no make that habitually, save edits to the disk program file first then to the SLC. This will ensure you always have a commented version of your last edit.

- The address printout is an invaluable feature. It enabled me to more quickly understand the shift registers used in my particular program. You can printout the entire address table by itself with NO rungs printing or you can do it when printing ALL rungs. If you printout a partial program and select to print addresses also, you will only get addresses for the range of rungs that you defined.

- When preparing to save a program to the EEPROM, perform the following steps to ensure both the SLC and the EEPROM are storing the same program.
- READ program from DISK into the workspace
- SAVE workspace program to SLC
- SAVE SLC program to EEPROM (NVRAM to EEPROM)
- Set SLC to RUN mode
- Power down SCL, remove EEPROM
- Power up SLC

- Instruction comments can only be added when entering the address number. Type the three digit address number and without pressing ENTER, type in the first character of the instruction comment. This invokes the comment edit mode. (Gary L. Keeney helped me with that one.)

Once I figured these things out I was able to reliably communicate with the SLCs and program with confidence. I'm no expert, but I significantly improved the machine process without introducing any new technology, despite jeers from our peanut gallery. New technology is usually better, but hey, the machine now meets our needs, we have spare parts, and we spent very little for a process that will be replaced within 18 months.

Grover

slc's 100, 150

micztek is right, I see interfaces for these on ebay quite often, both factory and homebrew. I always thought they were fun and easy to play with, having collected a fair pile of cpu's and expansion units over the years. Follow grover's advice and you can't go wrong. No need to program TCATs, they access whatever timers/counters you punch into them.