Not able to set (forces enabled) bit

skyhawk8

I have a PLC5. Actually we have 2 in the facility. During a download yesterday it was interupted. After I finaly got a good download and tested the program I noticed that the PLC (through the RSLogix) would not allow forces and also that none were installed. In fact I was downloading a program file after removing forces that were installed to disable a startup horn that someone else put in.

I've tried everything I can to set the forces enabled bit (S:1/8). It still will not allow me to set that bit. Not sure what info would be needed to investigate this. The PLC's are always kept in REM so changes can be made via wireless laptop.

The drop down selection box for forces is grayed out and no selection can be made when online.

I even tried to set the forces enabled bit offline and download. It then tells me that there are forces present and askes if I want to keep them and then I get an error that says it failed:Ext Sts = 0x0C Resource Not Available - Condition cannot be generated.

Thanks for any help.
Steve

As far as I remember, you simply cannot 'Enable Forces' in a PLC5 unless there are forces present in the program.

Even removing the last force, while 'Enable Forces' is true, will switch it off.

Well it's as rdrast said above. About 20 minutes ago I discovered just what he was saying. I was so used to having at least 1 force in the program that when I found and removed the overide for the startup horn is disabled the forces. What I was trying to do was enable them then use the force. I guess this is how you learn PLC programing when you do it on your own.

What I did for the time being is to put a dummy rung in and force it off. When I finish what I need to test then I'll remove the rung and the force. In the past people before me would just force something off instead of properly remove it after eqipment was taken out. They actually payed someone to do that too. Not a good programing practice.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

I have this same problem on a MicroLogix 1100. I set my forces, but then the enable forces dropdown on the toolbar is grayed out. I can right click > "Enable all forces". then I get a confirmation prompt. I click yes and then nothing happens.

Edit in Addition:
The forces light on the CPU is flshing orange.

ertertertert.png

Last edited:
If the force was only to disable the horn a quicker way is to just take the wire off the horn and wire nut it.