MicroLogix 1400 Mac Address Not Showing

reessm01

Hello,

I am trying to configure an IP address for networking my MicroLogix 1400 to KepserverEX. I am using a bootp/dhcp server to configure the IP address, however the mac address (as taken from the controller's tiny LCD screen) does not show up. I am connecting via an ethernet switch, which has the controller, HMI screen, networking cable, and a cable running to my laptop.

Now my question is if I already configured an IP address on the tiny LCD display of my MicroLogix 1400 is it counter intuitive to conclude that it already has an IP address assigned? And therefore is why the mac address isn't pinging the server for to be assigned an ip address?

If so, how should I go about reassigning the IP address' such that my HMI screen isn't lost and that it has an IP address my company's server can use?

Please let me know at your earliest convenience!

Thanks,

Scott

can you make a connection through the processor's serial port? ... if so, that's probably the easiest way to get inside - and then set the IP address that way ...

note that this next idea is GUESSWORK - since I don't usually do it this way - but after setting the IP address from the little LCD screen did you then do a Power Cycle of the processor ... I THINK that I remember that some changes made through the LCD require a power cycle before taking effect ...

Last edited:
You should be able to check the ethernet status right from the LCD. If it is set to DHCP or BOOTP, then try power cycling the controller and see if you get a request for an address.

If static, you can change the IP directly from there.

you should be able to set it using BOOTP but shut off your wireless and do not go through a switch you will see everything else.. and once you do set your IP be sure to uncheck the BOOTP enable box in the protocol control spot.

You should be able to check the ethernet status right from the LCD. If it is set to DHCP or BOOTP, then try power cycling the controller and see if you get a request for an address.

If static, you can change the IP directly from there.

At this moment its a static IP address with no gateway (only the basic 255.255.255.0 subnet mask). However I am trying to network it to connect to kepserverex. Which is through a different subnet mask & gateway (my company's). Does it stand to reason that I need to configure on the tiny LCD screen the ip address along with the company's network settings?

I don't know if the micrologix instructions assume that one has or has not already configured an ip for internal communication with an HMI or if it does assume that was done and that a secondary IP address will need to be configured to connect to a networking server such as kepware?

At this moment its a static IP address with no gateway (only the basic 255.255.255.0 subnet mask). However I am trying to network it to connect to kepserverex. Which is through a different subnet mask & gateway (my company's). Does it stand to reason that I need to configure on the tiny LCD screen the ip address along with the company's network settings?

I don't know if the micrologix instructions assume that one has or has not already configured an ip for internal communication with an HMI or if it does assume that was done and that a secondary IP address will need to be configured to connect to a networking server such as kepware?

The micrologix needs a gateway address in order to route to a different subnet.
Unless I am mistaken, you cannot configure 2 seperate IPs on a single ml1400, so you'll need to route traffic through a gateway o4r such.

The micrologix needs a gateway address in order to route to a different subnet.
Unless I am mistaken, you cannot configure 2 seperate IPs on a single ml1400, so you'll need to route traffic through a gateway o4r such.

I think I am understanding.

Is the bootp/dhcp server that allen bradley supplies unnecessary if one has access to the lcd screen that I have access to on the 1400? If so, that may solve my problem.

I'll have to reconfigure the HMI's IP to properly communicate with the controller. I'll write down all the information just in case.

I think I am understanding.

Is the bootp/dhcp server that allen bradley supplies unnecessary if one has access to the lcd screen that I have access to on the 1400? If so, that may solve my problem.

I'll have to reconfigure the HMI's IP to properly communicate with the controller. I'll write down all the information just in case.

Yes, if you can set the address, the bootp/dhcp server is unnecessary.

I never use BOOTP with ML1400s, I always enter it straight from the tiny screen. To me, thats one of the ML1400s advantages over other AB PLCs.

I confirmed that the ML1400 was not requesting the bootp for the above reasons (it was already set), thanks for the help.

Now when changing it to be configured for our company server, naturally, communications dropped off between my HMI and ladder logic (RSlogix). I did confirm that Kepware could see the controller, so that's good. However, I spent the better part of last Friday afternoon trying to reconfigure the ladder logic's communication ports without much luck. Google did not prove to of much use for me in how to change IP addresses within RSlogix. Can anyone give me a bit of direction on this one?