Intouch Application script..

OkiePC said:
What would happen if communication failed with the life_check bit in the ON state? I know nothing about ww, but it looks like you would not get a fault in that situation. When life_check is off, time_count is allowed to increment. When it is on, time_count is brought back to zero by the data change script.

OkiePC, it's a data change script so either state of life_check will clear time_count.

dsrPanda, check your wonderware logger and see if there's any communication errors at about the same time that you get the alarm.

DaveW said:
OkiePC, it's a data change script so either state of life_check will clear time_count.

Yes, I understood the meaning of data change script...it means that data change occurs every 10 sec...and during that period of 10 sec...application script will be executed for 10 times...correct?? and during each time of execution time_count should not exceed 25..correct? Is my concept clear??

DaveW said:
dsrPanda, check your wonderware logger and see if there's any communication errors at about the same time that you get the alarm.

Do you mean to check for alarms?? I don't know what is wonderware logger and how to see?

drspanda said:
Yes, I understood the meaning of data change script...it means that data change occurs every 10 sec...and during that period of 10 sec...application script will be executed for 10 times...correct?? and during each time of execution time_count should not exceed 25..correct? Is my concept clear??

Do you mean to check for alarms?? I don't know what is wonderware logger and how to see?

Yes to the first question. For the second, it depends on what version you are running. With 7.11 and lower look for an application call wwloger. This logger will display system log info from Intouch, IO servers, etc. Any communication problem will likely be logged here. For Intouch 8.0 and higher, the logger is hidden inside the System Management Console. Look for these apps to find out more info. Look in the Wonderware or Factory Suite folders under your Windows Start menu. Also check the event viewer in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools to see if any apps failed.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support from the bottom of my heart...Now I need answer to this question:

Can I monitor the variables written in the application script in Intouch??
If so please tell me how to do?

drspanda said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the support from the bottom of my heart...Now I need answer to this question:

Can I monitor the variables written in the application script in Intouch??
If so please tell me how to do?

Absolutely! Just put animation links to them on a screen. They'll work just like an IO animation.

Have you found the reason for your communication problems yet? Remember - everything we have previously discussed in this thread just indicate that you have a comm problem. They are not the problems themselves, just symptoms of the comm problem.

Last edited:
OZEE said:
Absolutely! Just put animation links to them on a screen. They'll work just like an IO animation.

How to put the animation links?? any screen shots??

OZEE said:
Have you found the reason for your communication problems yet? Remember - everything we have previously discussed in this thread just indicate that you have a comm problem. They are not the problems themselves, just symptoms of the comm problem.

Thanks ozee...I had done the below tests:

1. First I located the life_check bit in the plc program and found that it is on for 10secs and off for 10secs..and you know that in intouch data change script he(the programmer) used this tag "life_check" to make time_count=0...I made this bit in plc permanently off and observed PLC_fault in intouch...as per the logic..and made the bit in the plc normal and i found that PLC fault in intouch was gone and system is ok...

But when the actual problem comes we need to close the intouch application...but in the above test the system works normal as soon as life_check bit is normal..

2. Second I started to reduce the time_count in the application script and when I made it to 9..I found PLC_fault alarm poping up in intouch windowviewer screen every 10sec..this is also as per the script..

So there is a problem with communication and I think there is absolutely no problem with the script as well as PLC programming...But how to trouble shoot is becomming a headache...That is why i wanted to monitor the status of time_count...may be it helps me..

Come with your ideas and comments...OZEE

drspanda said:
How to put the animation links?? any screen shots??

Anything on a screen that changes color or numeric value that changes to reflect the value in a PLC is an animation link. If you have an existing WonderWare application, you have plenty of examples. (Besides, I don't have any at home and won't be back to the office until next Friday...)

drspanda said:
1. First I located the life_check bit in the plc program and found that it is on for 10secs and off for 10secs..and you know that in intouch data change script he(the programmer) used this tag "life_check" to make time_count=0...I made this bit in plc permanently off and observed PLC_fault in intouch...as per the logic..and made the bit in the plc normal and i found that PLC fault in intouch was gone and system is ok...

But when the actual problem comes we need to close the intouch application...but in the above test the system works normal as soon as life_check bit is normal..

2. Second I started to reduce the time_count in the application script and when I made it to 9..I found PLC_fault alarm poping up in intouch windowviewer screen every 10sec..this is also as per the script..

So there is a problem with communication and I think there is absolutely no problem with the script as well as PLC programming...But how to trouble shoot is becomming a headache...That is why i wanted to monitor the status of time_count...may be it helps me..

Come with your ideas and comments...OZEE

Is time_count the timer that sets life_check in the PLC? It sounds like if you manually do what we want WonderWare to do, then the system works fine. If that's true, then I suspect that the data change script is not working. Perhaps, looking at the wrong trigger event.

Try making time_count 11 instead of 10.

If you want to display the value of time_count, just put an IO Integer animation link on the screen.

OZEE said:
Is time_count the timer that sets life_check in the PLC? It sounds like if you manually do what we want WonderWare to do, then the system works fine. If that's true, then I suspect that the data change script is not working. Perhaps, looking at the wrong trigger event.
No, life_check is resetting the time_count...not vice versa...life_check is bit in the plc (ON for 10sec and OFF for 10sec No matter what happens in Intouch ) and time_count is a varible used in Intouch...

OZEE said:
Try making time_count 11 instead of 10.

I had tried and observed no problem....