Pleas help!

Apart from a small nudge in the right direction, students should not be helped AT ALL !
The act of solving a problem is in itself something that has to be learned.
I am not being sadistic, just the best advice to a student is to tackle the problem by one self.
"test finishes today" "bad instructor" are not good arguments.

I am in 100% agreement with this sentiment.
I see too many students coming onto this forum looking
for last minute help. I am sure there is enough time given to these assignments to allow their completion by a given deadline, if the student were to apply themselves in time.
lostcheif however, is certainly a first on this forum (I think), having taken out a membership.

lostchief.GIF

Last edited:
Apart from a small nudge in the right direction, students should not be helped AT ALL !
Don't worry, from previous experience, most of the students that come here can't solve these problems even with a large nudge. They don't have the motivation to put in the effort.

Don't worry, from previous experience, most of the students that come here can't solve these problems even with a large nudge. They don't have the motivation to put in the effort.

And that worries of me, because while a few of these will never touch a PLC again, some of them will end up being our coworkers and I'll waste an entire Wednesday morning explaining at least three times how SQO works, only to discover right after lunch that not one word stuck, but won't be surprised by that because its a well established pattern. o_O

I'm glad the OP in this thread gave a reasonable description of where he was hung up and was able to understand what he needed to do next - that shows promise, but I have to admit that sometimes I find myself hoping that some other students end up washing out because they should not be in the industry.

Tim,

The topic should be a world-wide concern for every human. From observations over my life, it seems that the average person is now dumber than ever before. I don't know why, but I suspect it has something to do with it being generally easier for dumb people to survive and reproduce.

Given enough dumbness, eventually the systems will collapse.

Well gentlemen I am sensing alot of negativity towards myself, which I do greatly resent I tried everything I could think of while stare
ing at my computer screen for hours on end. While going to school as a full time student I also work full time running, and maintaining a coal processing plant.I posted my question on this site because I cared enough to keep trying to find the solution when I myself was not able. It was my understanding that helping was what this site was all about, not to make assumptions, or pass judgement on someone who first of all you know nothing about. I do greatly appriciate the help, and would like to gain further knoledge through this site. Although being ridiculed, or profiled based on my grammer or on other people who you have delt with in the past. As for my instructor, I understand that there are two sides to every story, but without a doubt he has skipped over alot of the basic fundementals of programming.
I tried very hard to complete this on my own and when I could not, I swollowed my pride an asked for help was that so wrong?

Last edited:
Lostchief, please don't take it that way. I actually was pretty impressed with how you approached this as a beginner. Believe me, there are kids who come here having done absolutely nothing and want the answer handed to them with no effort to understand what is needed. It was like a breath of fresh air to see a student show up who had already put in an effort. Thats what started the conversation going in the first place because it doesn't happen often. Keep up the good work and welcome to a career path that can be rewarding and fun.

Last edited:
TConnolly, Thank-you, and I would like to appoligize if I took theese replies the wrong way, but they did seem generaly directed toward myself.

Thanks again Lancie1, and ceilingWalker I will try this weekend, for now I have to direct my attention to writing a presentation for my program director about my extearnship and a joyous meeting with the career services department, but I shall return. Again thank-you all!

Making a timing diagram for the traffic light cycle always help me see what is happening. The 0-second start point can be picked to be anywhere in the 28-second period, but it seems easiest to visualize if 0 is the beginning of the East-West Green ON Time. Each green light is delayed 2 seconds while the reds overlap on each end.

Traffic Light Timing Diagram 28-sec Cycle.jpg

Last edited:
Well gentlemen I am sensing alot of negativity towards myself,

Sorry Mate

That was never my intention.
I have no anger or negativity towards you at all.

Please understand you are only one of thousands of students who ask the same questions regularily.

It is just frustration and definately not aimed at you.

🍻

"Delayed green" means that the next green light is delayed long enough for both red lights to be on at the same time for 2 seconds. This helps prevent cars from running the yellow lights.
Watching the LogixPro Traffic Light Simulator run, I was wrong about it preventing cars from running yellow lights. A few of them still run the yellow light, but with the 2-second delay before the next green, the red lights in both directions are on for an overlapping 2 seconds. That keeps the traffic from starting up until all the "yellow runners" have passed, thus preventing accidents.

The so-called "delayed green" is used in the real traffic lights here in my city. It results in fewer traffic-light accidents, but many more people now run the yellow light, knowing there is a 2-second window after the yellow before the other-direction green goes on.

Last edited:
but many more people now run the yellow light, knowing there is a 2-second window after the yellow before the other-direction green goes on.
thus illustrating the point that controls programming is a constant struggle between the programmer trying to make code idiot-proof and the universe creating better idiots. The universe has the upper hand.