Powerflex 40 Fault code 005

We've got a powerflex 40 running a 7.5hp blower motor. I have the parameters set for a ramp up time of 8 seconds and a coast to stop at 10 seconds. The operators know not to change the pot and that its to remain at 36.1hz. Faulted out on 2nd shift. The start circuit is fed off the power supply of the drive running through a set of NO contacts on an ice cube relay with a 120v coil. The switch is a maintained two position. No start/stop. Just an On/off. The On/off switch controls the coil on the relay. The relay controls the 24v to the drive for the start circuit as well as the 120v for the coil on the blower contactor where a diode is installed to protect the relay. The overload is set at 15 amps, I also have a set of fuses local to the blower in a disconnect at 15amps as well.

I know this is probably more info than is needed but as an electrician I like to see the whole picture when troubleshooting. Any ideas on what would cause this? I don't have a surge suppressor installed in the panel. But if it says that its a bus over voltage then it doesnt sound like a control circuit problem.

The manual says: Monitor the AC line for high line voltage or transient conditions. Bus overvoltage can also be
caused by motor regeneration. Extend the decel time or install dynamic brake option

A096 [Flying Start En]
Sets the condition that allows the drive to reconnect to a spinning motor at actual RPM.
Important: Do not use this feature with permanent magnet motors.
Options 0 “Disabled” (Default)
1 “Enabled”
Just a thought If they are restarting before it has coasted to a stop, I had this on another drive and needed this enabled.
Also what is the contactor for if you have a VFD

You don't want a contactor breaking the 3 phase before the VFD excessive power ups will damage the drive. Most ask that power not be reapplied to VFD for several minutes. My equipment has timers to prevent this.

From the PowerFlex 40P Manual:
ATTENTION: A contactor or other device that routinely disconnects
and reapplies the AC line to the drive to start and stop the motor can
cause drive hardware damage. The drive is designed to use control input
signals that will start and stop the motor. If used, the input device must
not exceed one operation per minute or drive damage can occur.

I would recommend more than 1 minute to insure the buss has fully discharged. Also I have seen posts here where Drives are said to only have so many power ups over a life time as the buss will degrade Charging/Discharging, I haven't ran into that but have seen one with a contactor before drive that took out 2 drives ( over a period of months) before I discovered the cause, I was an OEM install and I had to argue with ABB since AB has it mentioned in their manual and at the time was not in ABB Manual.

The contactor is applied on the load side of the drive, the line side directly off a 3 phase fuse block, receiving voltage and staying energized even when the blower isnt energized. I believe turning a drive on and off to control a load is a cardinal sin. Im pretty sure its the 11th commandment.

Last edited:
You have an oxymoron in this statement:
...and a coast to stop at 10 seconds.
You have EITHER a Coast to Stop, OR a Decel ramp time of 10 seconds. That’s likely the issue here. Coast to stop means you have given up the ability to control the Decel time, you are letting the motor spin down naturally without being controlled by the VFD, hence no way for the VFD to accept regenerative energy. Setting a Decel time puts the VFD in control of stopping the motor and if the Decel time value is SHORTER than the natural coast time, the drive will be giving the motor a frequency lower than what it is spinning at, turning it into a generator that pumps energy back into the drive, charging up the DC bus. If that energy has nowhere to go, the drive trips on DC Bus OV. Extending the Decel time value moves the stop time out to be LONGER than the coast to stop time, so the drive is actually MOTORING the motor to extend it to that value.

If you need a specific Decel time in your process and the load can vary, you need a braking resistor on the drive to give the energy somewhere to go. If you dont need a specific time value, set the drive to Coast to Stop and accept however long it takes.

+1(y)

Man, that makes a ton of sense. I love this forum. So much knowledge in one place. Its a die blower in a forging process. When they shut down the blower its usually to goto lunch or break. No need for anything fancy. Thank you very much I will rectify this immediately.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, the setting is under P037 and I'll set it to "5 - Coast" correct? There is also a "2 - Coast CF"
"CF" (despite what you might think) in this case means "Clear Fault". So if you select that, every time you give the drive a Stop command, it clears any faults. Useful for when you don't have a separate Reset button wired to an Input or access to the keypad (the Esc button also clears faults), not so good if someone clears a fault before you know what it was (although you can always go back to D007, 8 and 9 to look at the last 3 fault codes).

Just a quick note... PF 4/40/400's have some very strange error messages.
I have had more than one drive report "Instantaneous Overcurrent" even before applying a start, and "Bus Overvoltage" immediately on start. (same drive).
Eventually traced it down to bad connections at the motor (phase grounded).
Meg your motor leads (drive disconnected).