Does Premium Membership allow a longer post editing window?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am considering a premium membership because i would like to go back and add additonal information to my OPs and fix this. Does premium membership have a longer time window for editing?

If you edit posts in a thread it is possible that people may miss that information, quoting yourself and posting the new information in a new reply I think is a better option in many situations

It may be missed by people already active in the thread, but that is why you post it in a new post in the thread and then added it with a "Edit In Addition" prefix, on the OP. That way new people aren't posting with an outdated context of the conversation. If the thread is already 3 pages long odds are people aren't going to read the whole thing.

Speaking for myself, if the post interest's people, they will continue to visit that post even if its 5 pages long. I keep tabs on posts that interest me and can be applied to my current location.

for example, a post on siemens plc's don't interest me, all we have here is AB.
others posts in which I have had to deal with do interest me and I keep up with the post.

what would annoy me is just stopping in the middle of the post?
what happened?
did you find a solution?
how would someone know that you started a new post?
I have found several posts that talk about things and you have no clue what they are talking about, it's as if the original post was deleted and you started in the middle of the topic. I don't visit those but 1 time.

just my 2 cents.
james

Speaking for myself, if the post interest's people, they will continue to visit that post even if its 5 pages long. I keep tabs on posts that interest me and can be applied to my current location.

for example, a post on siemens plc's don't interest me, all we have here is AB.
others posts in which I have had to deal with do interest me and I keep up with the post.

what would annoy me is just stopping in the middle of the post?
what happened?
did you find a solution?
how would someone know that you started a new post?
I have found several posts that talk about things and you have no clue what they are talking about, it's as if the original post was deleted and you started in the middle of the topic. I don't visit those but 1 time.

just my 2 cents.
james
You mean it would annoy you if some actually changed the original question? Rather than just doing an Edit in Addition. I suppose there is nothing stoping someone from completely editing the contents of the post, other than good forum etiquette.

Example of a EIA:

So blah blah blah, and blah blah, waaah waah, kjaedfkd, ansda kjadkfdjklsf too

EIA: Correction by "blah blah blah", I meant blah. To clarify "kjadkfdjklsf" I mean specifically "adasd"

You mean it would annoy you if some actually changed the original question? Rather than just doing an Edit in Addition. I suppose there is nothing stoping someone from completely editing the contents of the post, other than good forum etiquette.

Example of a EIA:

But someone looking may have your issue or something close to it, so by not editing its helping by getting the clarification (later in the thread)

Also if you were able to edit at a later time and someone was responding to what you wrote the first time the thread would not make sense from someone reading the whole thing

Example quoting you...
theColonel26 said:
So blah blah blah, and blah blah, waaah waah, kjaedfkd, ansda kjadkfdjklsf too

So I answered you.....
Git said:
blah blah blah, and blah blah,

Now you edit your question
theColonel26 said:
waaah waah, kjaedfkd, ansda kjadkfdjklsf too

My answer if not edited would make no sense it would just be jibber jabber
Git said:
blah blah blah, and blah blah,

And I also agree with JesperMP, well worth having the badge of a 'supporter' :)

I do apologize, I misread your post.

the addition of information is ok.
what I read was you wanted to start a new post (#2) and continue from post #1.

yesterday was a bad day at work, hardly got to sit down for all the plant issues.

james

There there now.
Why is it so important to be able to edit post for a longer time ?
To quote Steve Jobs
giphy.webp