AB slc5/04 communication

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
hello all, I have a slc5/04 that i need to download the logic from. I am trying to figure out what I need to communicate with this bad boy. it has a panelview 1000 connected to the rs232 port. I tried disconnecting the panelview and doing a autconfig with the rs232 driver using a regular cp3 cable and it did not work. I know that you need this cable:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/get/1784-PCMK_IM.pdf
to use the dh programming port but I was wondering f there was any way around buying the expensive cable?

You can try using the AB PIC driver with the cp3 cable. Most likely if the DF1 driver didnt work then the serial port is set to DH485.

Im not sure of the part number, I will have to get that next time. so it sounds like I should be able to talk with the processor if the serial port is setup as rs232?

You will be able to talk to the PLC no matter which protocol it is running. It will just effect which driver you use in RSLinx.

Exactness begets precision

If the PanelView part number ends in 5 or 9, it's a DH485 protocol unit and you need to use the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver in RSLinx with an integral RS232 port on your PC.

If the PanelView part number end in 16, it's a DF1 Full Duplex protocol unit and you can use the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx.

Because you already tried the DF1 Full Duplex driver and were unsuccessful, it's a safe bet that the SLC-5/04 Channel 0 is configured for DH485 protocol.

You have two additional options:

1. The "PIC driver" can be difficult to configure in Windows 2000/XP because of the hardware access it requires. A-B makes a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 converter that converts between DF1 protocol on USB and DH485 protocol on RS232 or RS485. This is the choice for most modern DH485 users.

2. The PanelView Standard terminals with version 3.0 or better firmware support ATA Flash memory cards, including CompactFlash cards in PCMCIA Type II carriers. This is my preferred method for uploading and downloading *.PVA configuration files to and from Standard PanelView Terminals.

thanks for the help. I did have trouble getting the aic driver to install. I had to log onto my adminstrator account for it to even load up. Not sure if it will even work right when i do get back around to it.

diat150 said:
I have a slc5/04 that i need to download the logic from.

Just a nit-picky technicality... You download TO a PLC, you upload FROM it. You'll save lots of future confusion if you'll reference the directions correctly.

There are lots of examples of people uploading to a PLC and wondering why the processor memory is blank. Or downloading from a PLC and wondering why their offline program changes are gone.