Analog Signal Scaling Types

mosama

Hello,

Can someone illustrate the difference between different types of scaling of analog signal including Linear, Logarithmic and Square Root scaling?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like a homework assignment and I'm not inclined to spend the time to find the graphical images in Google images search and post them on a file site and then link them here, ya-da, ya-da, to do an assignment for someone.

So convince me that you're trying to solve a real world problem, and not doing homework.

What exactly is the issue about linear vs square root vs log scales?

My two cents.

Not all analog inputs are scaled linearly, as in 4 mA = 0%, 12 mA = 50% and 20 mA = 100%.

Sometimes you don't care about the first half of the measurement range but want a better resolution on a certain area.

I've also seen it with propane level transmitter, where the signal was exponential.