Controlnet communication failure

snimra

I'm a very new user of Allen Bradley contrologix.

Last night we have a problem with our newly installed control panel (Allen Bradley Contrologix). The communication between the processor and the flex I/O suddenly failed resulting our machine down.

Indications on all the flex I/Os were healthy. The redundant controlnet network looked normal. When we checked in the RSLogix5000, it mentioned about module fault code 16#0317. Based on the help file, we need to download the RSnetworx, and we did.
That solved the problem but didn't promise permanent solution. We are still in the dark on what caused the problem.

The only abnormality that we've found was the 1756-CNBR/E was configured as 1756-CNBR/D. It has been running for almost 2 months after its installation. So we assume that it was not the root cause. The controller did indicate module mismatched.

Can this be a problem? Any similar experience by other users?

Thank you.

snimra said:
I'm a very new user of Allen Bradley contrologix.

Last night we have a problem with our newly installed control panel (Allen Bradley Contrologix). The communication between the processor and the flex I/O suddenly failed resulting our machine down.

Indications on all the flex I/Os were healthy. The redundant controlnet network looked normal. When we checked in the RSLogix5000, it mentioned about module fault code 16#0317. Based on the help file, we need to download the RSnetworx, and we did.
That solved the problem but didn't promise permanent solution. We are still in the dark on what caused the problem.

The only abnormality that we've found was the 1756-CNBR/E was configured as 1756-CNBR/D. It has been running for almost 2 months after its installation. So we assume that it was not the root cause. The controller did indicate module mismatched.

Can this be a problem? Any similar experience by other users?

Thank you.

Almost 99% of controlnet problems after commissioning are a result of connector issues. Go around to each node and give the C-Net cable a tug.

Ian

We have a redundant controlnet network. Base on my understanding, if one fail, the other one will take over. But we'll check the node connector for any sign of looseness.

What is the firmware revision of the CNB? If you aren't at the latest revision, you may have run into the communication loss after 72 days. There is a technote on this issue.

Thanks for that info. Ours are revision 10.006. I tried to enter Rockwell forum but looks like it has been removed.
I'll update here if I manage to find the technote. In the meantime, appreciate if you could share the info.
Thank you.

I'm in the middle of writing a report on that event and need some technical info to explain.

Thanks again for the info.

I've found the related Relase note that addresses my problem. Just for info, refer to this release note. 1756-RN627D-EN-P.
Thanks to all for your responses.

Just a sidenote:

that we've found was the 1756-CNBR/E was configured as 1756-CNBR/D.
This ahould work without a problem, CNB/E selection is not available in ver 13 and prior, but selection of CNB/D instead is OK

Yes. You are right. We are using version 13 (RS Logix5000 version).

Since it was OK, then there will be no change on that. Looks like the only solution is to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks.

RTFM, Thoroughly

You read the release notes, 1756-RN627, where it described the "71 day issue". This is not the problem you observed for two reasons:

1. The "71 day" bug was resolved in version 10.006 of the 1756-CNB/E firmware. This is the version you stated you are running.

2. You stated that this system has been in operation for "almost two months". That is less than 71 days.

There were two additional defects that were repaired in 10.007 firmware. If your system displayed any of those behaviors, you may reasonably expect that firmware 10.007 will fix them.

Should you wish to diagnose your problem to it's actual cause, post which RSLogix 5000 connection had the module fault code 16#0317. It might also help to describe your ControlNet network's size, speed, and contents.

you may reasonably expect that firmware 10.007 will fix them.
NOOOOO!!!

=== USE 11.002 only ===

Ver 10.6 did not fix 71 day issue as it was expected, only 11.2 did it.
10.7 have same problems as all previous version as well the issue with redundand media.
The only usable and stable version is 11.002.
All other versions in addition to 71 day problem may loose schedule (error 317) after cycling power if other devices ramain powered.
In addition ve 10.7 will loose ch B if power cycled.

Look at this post:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=26276

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info on the previous thread. It was a very lenghty discussion :).
After I read again the release note, here are the summary:

1) Rel 10.004 was the first one for ser E.
2) Rel 10.006 was issued to resolve the problem on "module stop operation after 71 days.
3) Rel 10.007 was issued to resolve three problems:
i) module display active/invalid keeper state.
ii) download RXnetworx fail
iii) module force keeper parameter to unmatch config.
4) Rel 11.002 was issued to resolve 2 problems;
i) module stop communicatig after 71 days.
ii) module may revert to using only channel A.

[ref: 1756-rn627_-en-p.pdf]

Base on that, yes, contr_conn was right about that 71-day-problem.

The other one is that our machine was handed over to operation about 2 months ago. The panel was powered up 4th week of nov-06. So, in total, I got approx 71 days.

It is possible that power cycled (or lost for a short time) and this resulted with problem addresses in 10.7 - schedule loss (16#0317 error in RSlogix5000)
But because you are using redundand media, 10.7 will not fix your problem.

So 11.2 is the only solution for your problem.

I tell ya, I'm going to start a new career in the Company re-writing obsolete release notes.

Thanks for the additional information and setting me straight, guys.