SLC 5/03 Serial Communications

jthornton

I have an application that uses a Keyence camera. I need to communicate with the camera controller via a 232 serial interface. The reason I need to use the serial interface is the controller has the extra memeor chip installed and the only way to change to the extra chip is with the serial commands.

The specs for the camera are:

Full Duplex
Synchronization Start/Stop
Data Format ASCII
Data Length 8 bits
Stop bit length 1 bit
Parity None
Baud Rate 9600/19200/38400
Data Delimiter CR
X Parameter Only with binary data responses

Can the SLC 5/03 send commands via this serial interface?
Example
Command C S , 1 2 3 cr
Response C S cr

If so can someone point me in the right direction...

If not is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Yes. There are a bunch of ascii commands such as AWA (ascii write append). I learned how to do it by reading the help file in RSLogix.

You do need to configure the serial port for User instead of system with your baudrate, etc.

Are you only going to be sending setup parameters to the camera or will this be an interactive dialog? (i.e. Look at part, what did you see?, look again, etc.) If interactive you may want to consider using a Basic module for camera control. If the results will be used to control assembly or sorting operations it will be a lot simpler in the long run than to try to code ASCII string files to cover all possible variations. You might spend more on hardware, but you will certainly save on coding time.

The other option would be to use an Omron CJ1 or CS1 with a serial card. Omron have a set of software to set up the card called CX-Protocol. Very easy to set up serial communications. No ASCII code to write. Then you just communicate with the card from the PLC CPU using the PMCR command.
Saves heaps of time and you can have up to 16 serial cards with 2 different communications protocols on each card.
beerchug

Rick Densing said:
Yes. There are a bunch of ascii commands such as AWA (ascii write append). I learned how to do it by reading the help file in RSLogix.

You do need to configure the serial port for User instead of system with your baudrate, etc.

Ok thanks for the info I study up on it.

controlsguy3 said:
Are you only going to be sending setup parameters to the camera or will this be an interactive dialog? (i.e. Look at part, what did you see?, look again, etc.) If interactive you may want to consider using a Basic module for camera control. If the results will be used to control assembly or sorting operations it will be a lot simpler in the long run than to try to code ASCII string files to cover all possible variations. You might spend more on hardware, but you will certainly save on coding time.

This is a setup where I only have to select a preset program in the keyence camera controler by number 0 -7 and or select the extended memory chip or the main memory and the program number then wait for a reply from the camera telling me it has changed...