Nema 4x VFD

RSL

I am looking for a good and reasonable priced Nema 4x drive in the 5-15 hp range. We exclusively use AB PowerFlex series drives and have not been real happy with the 4x stuff.

I would love for it to be AB Ethernet IP compatible, but realize that is unlikely.

I am looking for some ideas based on real world experience with a product.

RSL

Try looking at SEW. I've used their movimots in the past with pretty good luck and they are usually on par with AB for pricing.

allscott said:
Have you considered putting a normal drive in a 4X enclosure?

That's what I thought. I would expect the cost of a standard drive (you don't even need the cover) + enclosure would be less than a 4X rated drive....But maybe not.

Putting a 5-15hp drive in an enclosure is sure to generate internal heating problems unless you buy one of the drives that is flange mountable.

These types of drives put their heatsink outside of the back of the enclosure with a gasketed seal. The electronics remain inside the box and usually are not a heat problem because they don't generate much heat. This is an economical way to get NEMA 4X but you have to be sure that the drive heatsink can take whatever contaminants the enclosure is trying to protect against.

We are looking at using a 4x enclosure and standard drives. The heat calculations say our panel will be right at 200 F. without cabinet air conditioning. The air conditioners are several thousand dollars. This is our problem. Dick is right on with the heat problems comment.

I was looking at the Yaskawa drives mentioned above. Have you used these KP EENG? I have used Yaskawa and find them to be a good product. I have never used a 4x version though.

The AB Powerflex is good too, just do NOT let that cute little cooling fan get wet.

Dick, what brand of drives have you used/seen that are flange mountable? I like that idea the best. The environment we are protecting the drive from is just dust and water so I think this is a possibility.

I Assume the enclosure becomes a custom or field install type of thing.

RSL

I just looked AB makes PowerFlex Drives in the flange mount configuration.

Is their a fan mounted externally that can/will fail?

RSL

RSL said:
I am looking for a good and reasonable priced Nema 4x drive in the 5-15 hp range. We exclusively use AB PowerFlex series drives and have not been real happy with the 4x stuff.

I would love for it to be AB Ethernet IP compatible, but realize that is unlikely.

I am looking for some ideas based on real world experience with a product.

RSL

Do you really need the VFD exposed to a Nema 4X, IP67 type environment? Personally I hate seeing high power devices such as VFDs in the same area of a washdown type environment. I pesronally feel better with VFDs in a Nema 12 type environment with rigid/liquidtite conduit feeding the load wires out to the Nema 4X type motors.

This is a "skid". It needs to house all the control goodies in one general enclosure area.

I agree curlyandshemp I personally prefer an MCC or electrical room with normal duty drives mounted safe and dry. This is not an option.

The details of this job are not ours to dictate.

I am really thinking the flange mount might be the ticket for this job.

RSL

RSL,
We have one BALDOR "Washdown" 4X drive that seems to be reliable.
It might be worth a look.
BD
ZD18H401_W.jpg

SEW Movimots mount next to or can even be incorporated onto the motor housing so you have a motor and vfd all in one unit. I didn't see you respond to my SEW suggestion so I'm repeating my original suggestion.

LJBMATT,

I am sorry for not replying. Thanks for your sugestion. I have not used them in the past and need to read up. I Have used SEW motors before, but never their drives. I am a little nervous at the thought of the drive being mounted on or near my very wet motor location.

RSL

I did not mean to dismiss your sugestion.

I've used them in numerous outdoor applications and have had very gook luck with them. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you eventually decide on. I'm sure there are a few of us will be interested in what you go with.

Unfortunately this concept is in the proposal/bid phase.

We may never "go" with anything.

It is still a very useful discussion for me though.

I will post a final decision if we ever get to arrive at one.

RSL