5/04 with DH+ Panelview 1400E onto Ethernet

sledford

Sorry this must be brief- thanks for any help.

I want to get (2) 5/04 racks onto Ethernet for Wonderware data collection. Each has a Panelview 1400E on it's DH+ port.

Options I've considered:
NET-ENI -
cons: Wonderware has no driver that supports it directly. CimQuest's Ingear OPC server and Wonderware OPCLink together work - that's what I have working now. But I'm not confident in them staying running, the tag setup seems complex, and we seem to have new communication problems that may in fact cause the process to shut down suddenly.
Has anyone had trouble with the NET-ENI's in this mode?

Upgrade to 5/05 - with Ethernet Panelview plus -
cons: $$$$$.
This does seem the simplest, but at a cost of $2400 for 5/05 and $5300 for the PV+. I also heard this new unit may have bugs.
Anyone have experience with the PV+?

Contrologix rack - to supply a DH+ gateway to Ethernet.
This would mean tying 7 conveniently close DH+ nodes together and to the DHRIO card.
Cons: I'm not at all clear on how to set this up, configure the DHRIO, set up Wonderware to talk to them (I may need RSLinx higher than the lite version).

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

The contrologix rack is the way to go if ENet is a must. I have a similar setup. There is virtually no setup needed for the rack.

Sledford, why can't you use the DH+ for Wonderware? With everything you have now you should be able to do it, no? I would think a PC with a KT(x) card and the right driver and boom, everything is talking......

Vetteboy is correct. DH+ will work fine for communicating to WW. WW comes with a driver or Linx will work. (Not Linx lite though) If all you want is to collect data from the SLC's and the tag server is relativily close, then I would use DH+ and not bother with ENet. I would look at buying a linx upgrade though. Makes the communication setup a little easier.

Thanks for your replies.

The only thing I'm really worried about now with DH+ (either with a KTX or Contrologix) is throughput. The DH+ is not now connected, and I'm not sure what "baud" rate I would be able to get.

Two of the DH+ nodes would be production line controllers with (5) and (8) AB 1395 drives, and we will want to collect quick data (1 per second if possible) on as many drive parameters as we can. Currently, there are 7 words from each drive linked to the SLC.
This is along with many other tags, which may be able to collect less frequently.

At this point in the game, I'm striving for simplicity, so I'm leaning heavily toward Ethernet all around, meaning 5/05's and Panelview Plus's.

Thanks again.
Scott

I don't think you would need to worry about network overload with the DH+ with the configuration you mentioned. I have 13 5/04's on one blue hose at 57.6K (the slowest) with well over 1,000 tags going to the scada for logging and display and I have not had any update issues. And personally if you are going to buy new hardware I would NOT bother with the AB screens and go with a GLC series from Digital. Less than half the cost and 10x the screen.

dont mean to buttt in here but would you like to elaborate some more on these GLC series digital screens? Do you have a link for some info on them? Are they compatible with SLC's?

They're actually Xycom-

http://www.xycom.com/products/hmi/gp2000.html

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Looking for a replacement for Rockwell Panelview Plus 15"
[Incident: 030917-000037]

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Looking for a replacement for Rockwell Panelview Plus 15"

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (ALLEN HESKETT) - 09/18/2003 11:11 AM
You will need our software called GP-PRO, a down load cable. Some people feel that you don't need the cable if your using E-thernet. But if a problem comes up, I like to have the serial cable to be sure what gets down loaded.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 1:28 PM
To: '[email protected]'

Need to hook up to and display data from a SLC 5/05 over the Ethernet.

Do you have such a unit?
What software would be needed?

Allen Heskett
Application Engineer
Xycom Automation
734-429-4971 ext. 374
[email protected]

ProFace (GLC)

Here is a link for the screens. You can buy modules that will connect to DH+, DNet, and more. ENet comes standard on all GLC's. Great panels. Very powerfull. You can e-mail Larry for more info. [email protected]

GLC Info

FYI, Xycom Automation's GLC and GP series is actually Digital Electronics product line, known world wide as Pro-Face. Digital has been Xycom's parent company for 2.5 years now and the Pro-Face product line is sold in North/South America through the Xycom channel. Here is some more information about our products.

GP or "Graphic Panel" is our operator interface line. The 2000 series is the latest. They offer hundreds of drivers for interface to over 600 tested controllers world wide, this includes AB drivers for DH-485, DF1, DH+, RIO, DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP. They also have an Ethernet port that can be used for peer-to-peer data sharing, interface to a SCADA PC through software called Pro-Server (supports DDE, OPC, ODBC, ADO, DLL for PC application interface), PLC polling, Upload/download, and web publishing using GP-Web software. They also support CF cards, secondary serial port for bar code scanner..., 256 color support, and advanced "mini-SCADA" like development tools through GP-Pro, or Pro-Designer software.

GLC or "Graphic Logic Controller" is our operator interface line that also does control. Supports the same features as the GP2000 series, but also has Ladder Logic support for IO control using DeviceNet Master, or our own low cost Flex Network IO.

For the application being discussed, (1), or (2) GP2600 with DH+ module, and Pro-Server would fit the bill. A lower cost, non-display solution would be a Factory Gateway (GP without display) talking DF1 to channel 0 on the 04s, then sharing data with Pro-Server on PC running WW, but no local OI would be available. Hope this helps or at least informs you better to our product line.

Regards,

Michael Day
Regional Sales Manager
Xycom Automation / Pro-Face America
www.xycom.com