Factory Talk Studio 5.00

gosenbach

Good morning. I have a serious problem (deadline is tomorrow). I just upgraded to Factory Talk Studio 5.00 from RS View Studio 4.0. Now, I can not get any of my panels to open. The files open just fine but as soon as I try to open up and of the screens, Factory Talk Studio crashes. I have tried unpacking .apa files fresh and opening them, but the same things happens.

Another wierd thing which may or may not be related.. I cannot get kep server to close. With RS Viwe Studio, The Kepserver started whenever I opened a panel that referenced it. This still happens. However, once Factory Talk Studio closes, and I try to shutdown Kepserver, it stops, and then immeadiately restarts again. This happended before if RSView Studio was still open, but if you closed it, you would be able to shutdown Kepserver.

I Completely uninstalled RS View Studio 4.0 before I instlled Factory Talk Studio 5.0.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I really need to modify a few screens......

Thanks,

Greg

gosenbach said:
Good morning. I have a serious problem (deadline is tomorrow). I just upgraded to Factory Talk Studio 5.00 from RS View Studio 4.0. Now, I can not get any of my panels to open. The files open just fine but as soon as I try to open up and of the screens, Factory Talk Studio crashes. I have tried unpacking .apa files fresh and opening them, but the same things happens.

Another wierd thing which may or may not be related.. I cannot get kep server to close. With RS Viwe Studio, The Kepserver started whenever I opened a panel that referenced it. This still happens. However, once Factory Talk Studio closes, and I try to shutdown Kepserver, it stops, and then immeadiately restarts again. This happended before if RSView Studio was still open, but if you closed it, you would be able to shutdown Kepserver.

I Completely uninstalled RS View Studio 4.0 before I instlled Factory Talk Studio 5.0.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I really need to modify a few screens......

Thanks,

Greg

Install the 5.0 patch rollup and retry

SE
http://www.software.rockwell.com/download/mmi/se%205.0%20cpr9%20patch%20installs%2016%20may%2008.zip

ME
http://www.software.rockwell.com/download/mmi/me%205.0%20cpr9%20patch%20installs%2016%20may%2008.zip

you may need to logon to ABs Knowledge database first

The FactoryTalk Services Platform updates are not combined with the FT View updates anymore. If required, they need to be downloaded and installed seperately

The path that curlyandshemp linked too did not seem to do the trick. I'll try to locate the services platform update. Thanks!

I installed the two patches and ready the knowldge base articles. I am a little farther along but I still crash. Before the patches, when I tried starting a new application, the explorer pane would just come up blank. Now it populates like normal. I create a new screen and place an item on it. When I try to save the screen, it crashes.

the standard windows crash popup "Factory Talk Studio hs encountered a problem and needs to close, etc, etc"

I still crash imeadiately why I open of an existing application and try to open a display. An empty display window pops open (it looks like it is not fully loaded), the hard drive runs like mad for about 5 seconds, then crashes.

I think I am going to try a complete un install and re-install it. I can't think of much more to try.

RSView Studio 4.0 worked on it 2 days ago...

It works fine on one of the other guys new laptop. It was a brand new laptop though so it was a fresh install.

I just went from 4 to 5 on Tues. seems to be working. I did in this order -
Removed RSView Studio ME 4 (add/remove)
Removed RSLinx Enterprise (add/remove)
Removed FactoryTalk (add/remove)

Then I followed the steps in FT5 install. I think the first was Factory Talk components (at this time it had to first remove the firewall config utility).
Then I installed FT5 ME Studio.
Then it installed RSLinx Enterprise.

So far, knock on wood, it opens the 4 applications and the newer APAs that I received from other companies in version 5.

It is finally working. Thanks for the suggestions.

What finally worked was:
Completely uninstalling EVERYTHING factory talk, rebooting several times in the process

Re-installing everything Factory talk, also rebooting several times.

Applying the patches.

It now looks like it is working properly.

Thanks Guys!

Greg

SOLUTION:

Talked with Tech Support for hours this morning. The transition from FactoryTalk View ME 4.00 to 5.00 isn't as simple as uninstalling 4.00 via the uninstall wizard. If not fully uninstalled display crashes will occur.

Follow technote: 54692 it describes the correct way to uninstall 4.00

Dear Krilun,

could you please redirect me to the 54692 technote link?
I couldn't find on the Rockwell knowledgebase.

Regards,
Luca

gluca,

First and foremost Forza Azzurri. I'm a big Juve fan, but a bigger Italian National fan. March 28 can't come soon enough.

On to your question. The technote has been removed from Rockwell's KB but I remember what I had to do to fix my problem.

The Problem: I upgraded from RSView ME 4.00 to RSview ME 5.00 without uninstalling and I couldn't open any pictures once I converted to 5.00 because windows xp would crash.

How I solved my problem was:
1. Backup all RSView projects
2. Uninstall everything FactoryTalk
3. Go into windows registry (this was technote 54692) and delete all folders named "Rockwell Software"
4. Install in RSView 5.00
5. Get rollup patches, search Rockwell KB for RSView SE patch roll-up or RSView SEpatch roll-up (depends which one you're using)

If you have question let me know, here in the US its only 9:00 AM on the east coast so you can send me a message/email or whatever and I'll respond quickly.

Krilun,

thank you for your quick answer and your cheering for Italy team.
I'll try your suggestions and let you know.