Adding a managed switch

electro89

Hey everyone,
currently I have a bunch of unmanaged switches around a plant. the 2 opposite ends of this line topology are at totally different ends. What I want to do is somehow link the 2 ends wirelessly, but for now I'm worrying about how to get them to connect together without causing a broadcast storm. I know i need to add a managed switch, but would i have to replace every one, or just 1 or 2?
I'm new to this stuff and have been looking online all day yesterday. Lots of information here but just need to know some more.

thanks!
Martino

It's difficult to comment without knowing your existing topology or your future plans. Are you tied in to a existing coporate network now? VLAN in that case? Wireless may be difficult, it depends on the distance as well as line of sight. Cat5 has a distance limitation as well. Your best best may be 2 managed switches with fiber optic cable between the 2 networks. The more info you can give us the better we will be able to help.

there are already loops in the diagram in the other post. why is adding a wireless link any different from adding a hard wired link? An ethernet loop is created wired or wirelessly and switches which can deal with that will be required at least on either end, possibly throughout the network. I'd expect a large variation in loop detecting and path selection from one brand of ethernet switch to another, but have no hands on experience with ethernet loops