siemens S5 programmer???

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a customer and Louisville Kentucky it's looking for some Siemens S5 help. They need to upload a program to troubleshoot why it will not start. Machine shipped from across the pond somewhere. It ran then but it won't run now. That is all I know about this system.

Anybody interested PM me.

PS If I put this in 1 of the others Help wanted I get junk email.

It is not an answer to your question, but....

Machine has an ancient PLC for which spares are difficult or impossible to get.
Machine has no operator panel or similar to indicate errors and other important information.
There is no original source code for the program.

All this tells me that the machine is ripe for upgrading PLC and HMI to something uptodate. The endcustomer will have to do it sooner or later anyway, so since they are sinking money into the machine, why not take the plunge now ?

Jesper you are 100% correct. My work schedule is booked up until mid December.
If we can get this machine up and running it will give me a little time to do this conversion correctly instead of rushing and not doing a good job.

Jeff, exactly what kind of S5 is it ?
Does it have an EPROM ? It is normally a matchbox sized module with an orange bit sticking out. Sometimes it is a grey module though. If in doubt, get a photo of the CPU from the endcustomer.

The reason I ask is that if the program is completely lost, the CPUs "RUN" LED will lit if you switch the RUN/STOP switch to STOP and then RUN, no matter if the memory is actually empty.
This is from memory from 15+ years back, but I also think that on some CPUs, the program does not load automatically from the EPROM if the memory is cleared. You have to do something with the switches on the CPU. Dont really remember it well, but it could depend on the CPU type also.

I will have them email me some pictures.

I don't know anything about Siemens PLC. I have never touched 1, so starting on an old obsolete system might not be the best thing for me.

Jeff

I can't do it (to far) but if you decide to do it yourself let me know I can help support

I may do it late next week.
Going from your house to your shop is about as far as you go isn't it?

Manual

I have an S5 user manual (PDF). Not sure if you have one. It details the directions to load the program from the eprom. if not done correctly, you erase the eprom. We have one of these still running here and every year or so, it dumps its program.
It is too big to attach. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me and I'll send it.

Last edited:
I have an S5 user manual (PDF). Not sure if you have one. It details the directions to load the program from the eprom. if not done correctly, you erase the eprom. We have one of these still running here and every year or so, it dumps its program.
It is too big to attach. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me and I'll send it.

I have a manual on a car, it may help you fix your car.

There are numerous S5 PLC's, 95u, 115u, 135u, 150u and 155u, each will have a manual and each will have differences. Even the different PLC's may have different CPU's.

There are numerous S5 PLC's, 95u, 115u, 135u, 150u and 155u, each will have a manual and each will have differences. Even the different PLC's may have different CPU's.

Thanks for the constructive comment!

The original post did not list the exact model of PLC. To be more specific, I have a PDF version of the S5-100U covering CPU 100/102/103. I also have a couple more hard copy manuals tucked away. (Not sure of the exact type)

That's one thing I love about this site. No shortage of people with superior intellect and all the spare time necessary to make themselves feel better by posting such comments.
Mission accomplished! Good job Peter! Take a few dollars out of petty cash and buy yourself a big shiny gold star!

PeterW said:
´

rcflyer91 said:
That's one thing I love about this site. No shortage of people with superior intellect and all the spare time necessary to make themselves feel better by posting such comments.
Mission accomplished! Good job Peter! Take a few dollars out of petty cash and buy yourself a big shiny gold star!
I just see some mild sarcasm. No need to get your panties in a twist.