Open source emergency ventilator developed by AAU Denmark.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
A team on Denmarks Aalborg University has developed an emergency ventilator and has placed it on github:
https://github.com/CoRescue/AAUPandemicVentilator

Important is that it is endorsed and approved for medical use by danish authorities (for use in Denmark).

It consists mainly of standard industrial components.
It is said to cost approximately 20% of a normal ventilator.

edit: added link:
https://www.news.aau.dk/news/emerge...hortages-of-equipment-and-personnel.cid459836

edit: added image
rszaaunoedrespirator2.jpg

Last edited:
That's one great contribution to respiratory related patients around the world, especially during this period. The cost of it is going to help many I guess.

Let the world heal from this pandemic

:geek::geek:

That's pretty cool!
I've read that 80% of people on ventilators die anyway, so they may be selectively applied.

So they have the programming left to do, and it's an AllenBradley PLC.. So they will be done next year? :D

Jokes aside, I think they still have a lot of work to do before it's ready to go. Hopefully they have access to someone with exact knowledge how a ventilator is supposed to work.

Great work anyway!

The parts list on GIT seems to have a Compact 5370 specified but in the picture i see on the link posted it looks like a Micro800 series processor, or am I seeing things.

The parts list on GIT seems to have a Compact 5370 specified but in the picture i see on the link posted it looks like a Micro800 series processor, or am I seeing things.
The PLC program is for a 1769-L27ERM-QBFC1B (5370 L2).
Maybe they started out with Micro800 but found that it wasnt powerful enough.

All these initiatives are brilliant to see and show how innovative our Engineers can be in the face of ultimate adversity, and the race against time.

Just this evening it was announced out of the MedTech Campus in Galway, Ireland, where half the world's ventilators are normally produced, that the "Inspire Initiative" startup has been working tirelessly and voluntarily for just two weeks, as the "VentShare Team", to develop, test and release to the global market a new system to safely share one ventilator between two patients. This, they hope, can be easily replicated and retrofitted to existing ventilators to double capacity...

GalwayVentShare.com

Simple, but ingenious.

00141914-614.webp

Regards,
George

Last edited: