Creating graph (Distance Vs Pressure) for test jig? Possible?

flyers

Hi guys,

We've come across a project to construct a test jig for pulling test on an object. There is a hydraulic pump to do the pulling (length) & in between the hyraulic shaft and the object there is a load cell to measure the pressure/force.

As the hyraulic shaft retract, the distance between the shaft and the object (stationary), will be increase. So, as the distance increase, the pressure (reading from load cell), will also be increase.

The operation of the test jig (start/stop) will be control by a PLC and a workstation running SCADA software.

The test result will be ploted in a graph Distance Vs Pressure.

My question is, I've normally come across graph (Trend - RSView32/ME) only plot distance or Pressure AGAINST time. How can I create a graph that plot Distance AGAINST Pressure?

Note: All the values for shaft distance & load cell reading will be send to PLC using 4-20mA.

Anyone come across this please advise. Thank you.

I'd say you need to use your own plug-in ActiveX Graph object. I'd create two tables of data in the PLC, then pump them to the HMI. Not elegant, as it can potentially use a LOT of tags.

A Google for ActiveX Graphing Controls...

As a perhaps better alternative, you can use Excel with DDE Links to the data in the PLC, then use Excel's graphing capabilities. That would conveniently also allow you to save the data in a normal spreadsheet form. Come to think of it, you can probably use VBA and the Excel automation objects to incorporate the spreadsheet directly into a display.

Hi:

Why don't you use and opc client software like XLreporter, use your rslink as the OPCserver and capture your data in Excel, if you use the demo version it will run for 2 hours and can gather up to 15 tags simultaneously, that's gonna be enough for your purposes.
In excel yoy gan make your graph Distances Vs Pressure.
I hope this will help you.
william

I am having similar question. I have needs to display graph on the Panel View Plus 600. Do you think third party graph active x control will work on Panel View Plus.
Currently we are using bunch of bar indicator controls to represent graph we want to see.
PaulB

rdrast: Sadly, I'm not familiar with VB thingy, otherwise I can create the graphing program.

widelto: Does XLreporter supports graph? I know is support table format data. XLreporter can't pull the data direct from RSLine Single Nodo (DDE)? Please let me know which is the suitable product for my application : http://www.xlreporter.com/downloads/index.htm

I was thinking of using RSTrend, I browse thru that the x-axis can be change to other parameter rather than time. :) hope it works.

The generic term for that type of graph is "X-Y" plot or graph, Excel calls them scatter charts.
Dan