How much would you folks charge to train industrial automation to young adults ?

I know this isn't exactly how he taught, but Ron Beaufort may have some great insight in this area. Many years ago, I took one of his week long bootcamps.

It really helped my understanding of PLC's. That was before the days of countless Youtube videos. I'm jealous of how much helpful info is out there for today's students.

But, I guess that makes me a hypocrite because I'm just as likely to fireup Youtube when I have a question.

We are always learning aren't we?

I know this isn't exactly how he taught, but Ron Beaufort may have some great insight in this area. Many years ago, I took one of his week long bootcamps.

It really helped my understanding of PLC's. That was before the days of countless Youtube videos. I'm jealous of how much helpful info is out there for today's students.

But, I guess that makes me a hypocrite because I'm just as likely to fireup Youtube when I have a question.

We are always learning aren't we?

The amount of free learning material out there is astonishing. Any field, anything about anything. Youtube is by far the most valuable and life changing platform in existence today.

I am starting to find more and more material on linkedin which usually links to youtube or websites but it a good place to find learning material.

The amount of free learning material out there is astonishing. Any field, anything about anything. Youtube is by far the most valuable and life changing platform in existence today.

I am starting to find more and more material on linkedin which usually links to youtube or websites but it a good place to find learning material.

I knew a guy that was very thankful for YouTube. Hired in as maintenance saying he had been a licensed mechanic at a Ford dealership for 10 years. Everytime he was asked to do something on a vehicle he had to search YouTube to find out how to do it. He had never replaced brake pads, u-joints, radiators, wheel bearings, or fuel pumps - and knew nothing about flex-fuel systems even though Ford came out with them first.

I have taught as an adjunct at both the community college and university levels. In both cases, the institution had a range of pay rates in place. They should be giving you that range, and then you may do a little negotiation. Since you are an experienced professional in a highly technical field you should be at the upper end of the range. If you are teaching liberal arts or soft science you would likely be at the lower end of the range.

I had a day job, so I didn't count on the teaching for groceries. In my case, and hopefully in yours, the big reward was assisting young professionals in their pursuit of a worthwhile career. It is extremely gratifying to see the light bulbs come on when a student gets it!

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and advice . This would be a new experience for me . I’m thinking of charging $100 to prepare the class and $40 an hour for teaching the class . 2 hours a night , 2 days a week , 10 weeks .

Do you think this is reasonable ?

Thanks again.

First of all, I think $40 per hour is way too low a rate. Aside from that, do you think you can prepare the class is 2-1/2 hours? Put another way, can you prepare a class that will entail 40 classroom hours and that you'd be proud to attach your name to in just 2-1/2 hours?

2-1/2 hours - no way.

I'm presuming more like 80 to 100 hours to prep the class, and another 6 to 10 every week, other than the classroom hours, for the duration.

Then grading homework, tests and lab work results? 6 to 8 hours more each day that happens.

I was recently listening to podcast on embedded programming and the guest was asked about his youtube tutorials and how long it takes him to prepare for each episode, his answer was: approximately one hour for each minute.

I imagine for someone who doesn't have an already developed and well practiced course, it would take at least as much time and effort.

That preparation time is interesting. Although I do almost all PLC now for a living, I have been an industrial electrician for over 30 years. I was thinking about making a Youtube video regarding 3 and 4-way switches (residential). I would make a section of wall studs in the basement and show the different configurations of existing and new switch wiring.
So a 20 minute video would take almost three 8-hour days to prepare after all the equipment was done. That's a lot of work.
One would be suprised at the percentage of licensed electricians who don't know how to do this, let alone the average homeowner.

That preparation time is interesting. Although I do almost all PLC now for a living, I have been an industrial electrician for over 30 years. I was thinking about making a Youtube video regarding 3 and 4-way switches (residential). I would make a section of wall studs in the basement and show the different configurations of existing and new switch wiring.
So a 20 minute video would take almost three 8-hour days to prepare after all the equipment was done. That's a lot of work.
One would be suprised at the percentage of licensed electricians who don't know how to do this, let alone the average homeowner.

Average homeowner doesn't have a clue as to how a single way switch operates. Its like magic to them.

When I taught classes I could draw on material I had "in the can" from sales presentations and brown bag technical sessions. I still spent about two hours prep for every hour of class time. If you don't have a lot of ready reference material expect that more time will be required for prep. (I think an hour for each minute of presentation is unreasonable, though. Looks like PR or virtue bragging to me.)

Bear in mind that if the class runs multiple semesters the prep time for the second semester will be much reduced.

Teaching is worthwhile, but not a moneymaker. Do it for the satisfaction, and take the money as a bonus.

(I think an hour for each minute of presentation is unreasonable, though.

Pre-production planning, scripting, set design, graphics design, stock video acquiring/finding, finding audio, recording until you get it right, post editing and green-screening in the stuff that's not really behind you.

I think an hour per minute is reasonable for a professional video maker, maybe not making a homemade how-to.

I think much of the time goes into editing the video, he usually has lots of information, infographics and coding and tried to stay below 20-30 minutes I think.

His name is Miro Samek and has a blog, YouTube channel and free statechart modeling software.

I see a lot of place around here hires new graduate. There are two very good I&C school here in Washington, Bellingham Tech and Perry Technical Institute in Yakima.