Image not showing FTV ME

saultgeorge

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi folks.
I have been reading the FTV user manual for most of the morning and it doesn't say much about visibility of images.
I have images in the images folder for the project. This is FTV ME v. 12. The image I want to use is showing on the display on my laptop however it doesn't show on the screen on the HMI. I've tried loading and running the .mer file again, refreshed comms-about everything that seems logical. There is only a blue area on the HMI where the image is supposed to be.
The image is of a part we are welding nuts onto and we are showing weld completes and status for every weld. Those show up fine as the welds continue.
Perhaps it's something really obvious however I'm becoming non-productive looking through this. Any suggestions are appreciated!
I can post the .mer if needed. The photo is what I see when the HMI is running. The screenshot is what I see on the laptop and what I need to see on the HMI. Thanks.

IMG_0301.jpg HMI laptop.PNG

Last edited:
Feel like I've seen this issue before, but can't remember any details.

You say the image is in the images folder for the project -- is it present under Images in the Explorer tree in Studio? Verify its name there matches the name where you are using it.

EDIT: What image format?

Last edited:

You say the image is in the images folder for the project -- is it present under Images in the Explorer tree in Studio? Verify its name there matches the name where you are using it.

Hi thanks for such a speedy reply. I'm not sure about the Explorer tree. Do you mean the controller organizer? I don't see anything for images. There are PV routines in the stations and cell but nothing jumps out at me.
The image format is bitmap. Thanks!

Ah I think you mean the tree for the HMI project. Yes there are images in the image folder. It's in there and it's name does match what I'm using. I think I'll take a closer look at this again.

I have seen this before. If I recall, what I did to fix it was to delete the object from the display (but not from the images folder). Then save the display and close it. Then re-open the display and add the object. Then I believe I saved and closed the display, then I used the Run Application option to verify it appeared correctly. Once I verified that it did appear correctly, I went ahead and created the new runtime.

OG

I have seen this before. If I recall, what I did to fix it was to delete the object from the display (but not from the images folder). Then save the display and close it. Then re-open the display and add the object. Then I believe I saved and closed the display, then I used the Run Application option to verify it appeared correctly. Once I verified that it did appear correctly, I went ahead and created the new runtime.

OG

Hi! Thanks. I'll give that a try right now and get back to you. Didn't think of that.

OG

Ok, so I did what you suggested and still no part displayed (image) on the HMI.
I uploaded another HMI program that was showing images on the screen and there's really no difference in the path that I have for my image.
It will show up when I use the run application option, but will not show on the HMI, even after creating another runtime file and downloading. Apparently there's something obvious I'm missing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ah I think you mean the tree for the HMI project. Yes there are images in the image folder.
Yes, that is what I meant... iirc it's possible to remove components from the project without actually deleting them from the disk so wanted to check that.

At a bit of a loss, I agree this is very strange.

Any unusual characters in the image name?

If you have 7zip (or equivalent) then you can open the .mer file as an archive and check for the presence of the image file there to verify it's present in the runtime not just the project.

Yes, that is what I meant... iirc it's possible to remove components from the project without actually deleting them from the disk so wanted to check that.

If you have 7zip (or equivalent) then you can open the .mer file as an archive and check for the presence of the image file there to verify it's present in the runtime not just the project.

Hi, OK there are # symbols in the image name; i.e. Model 6 Pt# 23505360 etc. I wonder if this is it. The other program had no special characters and the image was just named 3096-1 or something. I'll try the zip suggestion.
Thanks!

Hi, OK there are # symbols in the image name; i.e. Model 6 Pt# 23505360 etc. I wonder if this is it. The other program had no special characters and the image was just named 3096-1 or something. I'll try the zip suggestion.
Thanks!

If the image is indeed in the .mer, I would definitely try renaming it via the explorer panel to remove the # given that character's other uses.

If the image is indeed in the .mer, I would definitely try renaming it via the explorer panel to remove the # given that character's other uses.

Thanks! Most of these applications don't do well with special characters. Although the customer has used this format for several jobs, each job has different images. Perhaps the programmer just named them to match up with the PLC program. Thanks and I'll let you know the outcome, probably tomorrow.

Friggen Bingo!! "This file format is not supported in this application" or something to that extent in the 7zip archive. Man, did I ever learn something today that I will NEVER forget. Thank you so much! I dont' see why it won't show up now and I'll let you know soon!

Hi
OK, I fixed it with all of your help.
First off, the image name under common tab on the image properties needs to match the image in the folder for the project, duh. With that, it will tell you if the name format is unacceptable. It doesn't like # or spaces I've discovered. Most of the images I've worked with in the past are named image01, etc. No problems.

plvlce I appreciate the info about 7zip. I did what you suggested and 7zip doesn't support .bmp. So the image doesn't show in the archived .mer file. However, it is showing on the HMI now and that's what I was after.

As always, this forum is fantastic with it's vast supply of knowledge. I hope I can help someone else someday. Take care and Thank you all!!