Factory Talk Studio & SLC 5/05

Zombo

I am working on a quote for a HMI upgrade which will be a Panel View Plus over Ethernet/IP. The PLC is an older SLC 5/05 however it has the latest upgrades for this particular application. What I am confused about is assigning the tags in the Studio 5000 Factory Talk Studio - View Machine Edition. How do you assign the offline tag file in the Factory Talk Linx Communication Setup if there is no *.acd file in the SLC 5/05 program?

You don't assign an offline file for a SLC. You can either create HMI tags and enter the data address manually or you can make the HMI buttons access the data locations manually. You can import/export the tag library for editing in Excel if you have a lot of tags to do.

I imported the tags from the SLC 5/05 program to the HMI tags folder in View Machine Edition. As an example I got one of the results below:

Name: SLC505_Tags\19K4
Address: ::[SLC505]I:1.0/4

Would I have to do any more editing to that tag?

What you have there should work just fine as it is.

FactoryTalk Linx (previously RSLinx Enterprise) really was designed around the Logix 5000 family of controller. While it does support the SLC 500 and the PLC-5, you don't get all the bells and whistles like you do with the 5000 systems. The offline tag file is one example of what you don't get. That's why there is an option to import tags from those controllers. And also why that option isn't needed for the 5000.

If you absolutely positively had to have offline tags for the SLC, and you owned an activated copy of RSLinx Classic (not Lite) then you could use RSLinx as an OPC server to your SLC controller. RSLinx does support what they call "symbol files". Sort of an equivalent to an offline tag file. But importing the tags as you've done is probably the best way to go.

OG

Thank you very much for your support in this matter!
Please have a very nice week and try to stay cool.....