SLC500 comments

remullis

I made quite a bit of changes within an online program and attempted to do a save as to my desktop of the edited file.

I missed something because I lost my comments to the program as I go back online but all of my changes are still there. I have the edited program saved however to my desktop with all comments. When I upload it still doesn't bring the comments back in. I am trying to avoid having to do a download.

Anyway to recover this online?

Thanks!

Comments are stored in the off line file not in the SLC, if you export the tag database from the one on your desktop and then import into the online file you will get the comments back.

Alan,

Will I need to export as ASCII within the CSV file selected and should I put the current running project name on the processor as the file name or does that matter?

Thanks!

Try something when you go back online. Go to File and Save As and look at the directory/folder. I suspect that it may have opened an older copy of your project that you have stored in a different folder. You don't actually need to save, just view the location of the file it opened.

Likewise, offline, open the file you saved to your desktop. Do you see the comments you changed/added? I think RSLogix might be getting confused and closing the file on your desktop and opening an older version.

OG

That was what was happening it was trying to pull from an unused directory. Didn't see that!! I was able to drop my edited program back in the correct directory and all is good again. Thanks for everyone's help.

RSLogix 5 and 500 are really annoying in that way. If you notice when you go online, the file you had open gets closed and then opens again. It can happen so fast you might not realize it. So as it turns out, having the file open before going online is a waste of time as the software completely ignores that file and "finds" what it thinks is the right file. As we see in your case, it was finding the wrong file.

Fortunately they got rid of this behavior when RSLogix 5000 came out for the Logix 5000 controllers.

OG

I will pay attention to that one from here on out. I am stepping back into the PLC5 and SLC500 as oppose to most of my experience in CL5000. Thanks again!