You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 14th, 2022, 01:42 PM   #1
Elons_Musk
United States

Controllogix Online Card Replacement

Are any of you guys out there aware of a consolidated list of I/O cards that can be replaced online?

We just replaced a 1756-IF16 card while the PLC was online when a point failed and it got me thinking. I know there are some cards that do not support this, but I've never seen a quick and easy list to reference.
Old July 14th, 2022, 01:56 PM   #2
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I hate doing it and shy away from it.... but chapter 6, they dont talk about limitation, also note this was wrote in 2017

Quote:
You can install or remove a ControlLogix® I/O module while chassis power is applied. Removal and Insertion Under Power (RIUP) provides the flexibility to maintain modules without having to stop production
https://literature.rockwellautomatio...m058_-en-p.pdf
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old July 14th, 2022, 03:40 PM   #3
Jim3846
United States

The biggest issue i see with it is the wiring arm. Just be sure the wiring arm is unlocked and not tugging on it when it is locked.

AB 1756 racks
Then the other issue is making sure you slide the card into the rack straight up and down and not out of its position, otherwise you might bend pins and there you go, now the rack might be damage.

I don't think compact logics can do hot swappable.

I dont remember if siemens is hot swappable?

Point IO slice is not hot swappable either, many manufacturers have too many tabs to make this a fast changeout. I remember the Siemens ET point io and it had dovetails, thought that was funny (i did not think we was working on furniture).
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum