New HMI is speaking to wrong PLC

Sevenfins

So, here's the situation.

HMI is PV Plus 700 V4
PLC is SLC 5/05 FW 11

I was fixing an electrical issue in a machine yesterday, and while I was there, the customer had asked me if I could replace their HMI with another one (same model and everything) So, I uploaded the existing file from the HMI and then downloaded it into the new one. When we fired the machine back on, the HMI was controlling a different machine on the ethernet network. The MER file. on the HMI is 4.0 (which I don't have a 32 bit OS VM to do the work around.) The PLCs were on the same ethernet network, but had different IP addresses. I double checked.

Maybe a simple question, but I'm honestly shocked that this happened.

Did the PV have multiple .mer files on there maybe & you uploaded the wrong one.?
From memory, you can change the target in the config in the unit as well.

It did not have multiple. The one I had grabbed only had one program on it with the correct program name. I don't have it on hand, but where would I set the target? Because I was able to see in the terminal settings on the old HMI was targeting the correct PLC. However, I can't get into the old mer file to change any targets, I can only drag and drop the file, so if I can do it from the terminal itself, it would help greatly.

You grabbed a PV? Off the shelf of spare parts I presume.

If an OEM makes a line of machines it is probable that all the PLC and HMI programs are identical and named the same, except for IP addresses if networked, and I have seen duplicate machines with the same IP address that could not be networked together.

As far as FactoryTalk View it should run on 64 bit OS's, the old program PanelBuilder32 (For Not Plus HMI's) needs a 32 bit VM or old Windows XP computer to run.

the old program PanelBuilder32 (For Not Plus HMI's) needs a 32 bit VM or old Windows XP computer to run.
I run it just fine on 64-bit Windows 10.

If you can access the configuration pages you should be able to change the communication configuration to point to the correct address. Look under Terminal Settings>Networks and Communications>RSLinx Enterprise Communications.

Note that if you change settings from what the startup program has then when you reboot it will ask if you want to load comm settings from the program, selecting yes will overwrite any changes you have made.

...and while I was there, the customer had asked me if I could replace their HMI with another one (same model and everything)

If everything was the same why did they want you to replace it?

On a different note... I downloaded the wrong program to a red lion before and it shut down the entire plant, oops :oops:

If everything was the same why did they want you to replace it?

On a different note... I downloaded the wrong program to a red lion before and it shut down the entire plant, oops :oops:

I worked on a hot press system of 5 presses, and a few assembly stations, unload stations, a transfer carriage, loading and unloading the carriage - each with a S7-300 all connected together.

The 5 press PLC's had the same name and YOU had to know the node the right one was at.

Not only me, but a Siemens programmer that worked on the system more than I did, online edited or downloaded to the wrong PLC.