PLC-5E Ethernet/IP Configuration

Cody

Per Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase article 61405, the following Series and Revisions of PLC-5E controller support EtherNet/IP: All Series F controllers, Series E revision D.1, and later Series D revision E.1 and later, Series C revision N.1 and later.

We have a PLC-5/80E, Series E revision E.2.

RSLogix5 is showing different Port Configuration options for our controller and a Series F. RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver cannot find our controller, however, the Ethernet driver does find it.

My goal is to utilize the RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver. How can I do this?

What driver are you using in RSLinx? Some times ETHIP (Ethernet/IP Driver) will not find them, so make sure you use Ethernet Devices ETH and just set the IP address of the PLC

As stated, the ETH driver shows the device and we can connect using the PCCC (PLC-5 Ethernet) protocol. However, we can't get an Ethernet/IP connection.

So does your Ethernet/IP driver see any other devices? That driver can only see devices on a specific subnet. If it is set to "Local" then it will only see devices on the same subnet as your computer. If it is set to "Remote" then it will only see devices on that specified subnet. The Ethernet Devices driver will talk to anything on any subnet as long as it can reach it (via subnet mask or router).

So is your computer on the same subnet as the PLC and are you using Local or Remote?

OG

We are using local. We can "talk" to the PLC with the Ethernet Devices driver - RSLogix5 works great.

But, our ultimate goal is to connect on Ethernet/IP, that is not working.

...We can "talk" to the PLC with the Ethernet Devices driver - RSLogix5 works great.

Understood that part. Just making the point that Ethernet Devices can talk to any subnet, where an EIP driver can only talk to a single subnet.

You said you are using Local, can you identify the IP address and subnet mask for the PLC and your computer? I ask because the devices driver is more flexible here.

And, can you see any other devices on your EIP driver? Or is this the only device you have?

Is your RSLinx Classic software relatively up-to-date?

OG

Start by verifying that the EtherNet/IP protocol really is running and functional on that controller, by verifying that TCP Port 44818 is open.

One of the easy ways to do that is with Windows PowerShell:

Code:
Test-NetConnection <ipaddress> -Port 44818

or just "tnc" for short

I think that some of the oldest SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E controllers would support a CIP connection, but they wouldn't respond to the "List Identity" broadcast command that the RSLinx Classic Browse uses for the EtherNet/IP driver.

For context, if the Ethernet Devices driver works well, why do you want to use the EtherNet/IP driver ?

Thanks Ken - we will do that. We ultimately need to connect the PLC-5 to an Ethernet/IP master that does not have support for PCCC.

We have RSLinx 4.11.00 CPR 9 SR 11.0.

TNC to 44818 was successful. So do we NOT need to do any further configuration of the E/IP? Or, is there a way using the data table bits to do so, since RSLogix doesn't show us those fields?

We ultimately need to connect the PLC-5 to an Ethernet/IP master that does not have support for PCCC.

An important distinction: the commands will always be "PCCC", the A-B Programmable Controller Communication Command set.

The difference is between A-B Client Server Protocol v4 (CSPv4) being the transport for those commands, or Common Industrial Protocol (CIP).

The older Ethernet Devices driver actually runs both CIP and CSPv4; it determines which protocol to use by first checking Port 44818 (CIP), then checking Port 2222 (CSPv4).

It used to be that you could tell the Ethernet Devices driver which protocol to use by adding ":2222" or ":44818" after the IP address in the Station list.

I can't say why your specific PLC-5E isn't responding to the EtherNet/IP driver browse. I do know because of experimentation and experience that some of them simply didn't, back in the late 1990s, but I don't have expertise or access to those old firmware notes to tell for certain about your firmware.

It’s been 7 years since I touched PLC5 last time, but if I recall correctly, only Series F PLCs and Series C side car support Ethernet/IP Linx driver (or respond to the Identity Broadcast).
All others support only Ethernet Devices RSlinx driver.
Ok, back to the Logix world :)