PointIO Change From DeviceNet To Ethernet

I_Automation

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer has a stamping press that has 2 DeviceNet nodes going to a DeviceNet control card in a ControlLogix rack.

Older ControlLogix, L55, version 16.05, with Ethernet already for the HMI and drives.

I have a little experience kludging around DeviceNet, but no way an expert. They have had DeviceNet problems on this press quite a few times, and the OEM tech support keeps saying they have too and no longer use it in favor of Ethernet. This big press has been down since Thursday because of this and the customer is getting frantic.

The question is: What would be involved changing the 2 PointIO nodes to Ethernet and running (shielded) CAT6 cables?

Would this just be add the new nodes to the IO tree and remove the DeviceNet nodes after changing all the effected tags, or more into messaging the nodes?

The OEM tech says they have switched over before, but it was a different technician and the guy I talked to would have to find out who did it and get with him next week. Because of a newer machine the customer does have Ethernet nodes, so if this isn't difficult I could get it this press running today.

Normally yes, you would add the AENT, set the chassis size, drag each I/O module from the DNET module to your new AENT module. Not sure what the experience will be like using v16 and newer 1734-AENT. I did a quick test, the newest version of AENT that my v16 will go up to is v2, I believe the latest revision is v6. So when you configure the AENT, I'd guess you'd have to disable keying.

Dmroeder,

Thanks.

I do have the option here of updating this to version 20, but don't know if that will make a big difference. I have before had things I wanted to do over Ethernet/IP and v20 wouldn't do it but v26 would - so it has some limitations.

Or I could try to sell the customer on a newer L73 and up it to v32 or 33...

Depending on what the HMI is it may not talk to a L73 above version 24.
If it is a Panel View Plus version 5.10 or lower the latest that can go to is version 24 on the processor (and it has to be 5.10.16 to work at version 24).

Depending on what the HMI is it may not talk to a L73 above version 24.
If it is a Panel View Plus version 5.10 or lower the latest that can go to is version 24 on the processor (and it has to be 5.10.16 to work at version 24).

You can actually make older ones talk, you just need to tell the PanelView that it is talking to an older controller than it really is.

For example, I had to make a v5.10 PVP talk to a L83 via EN2T. I just manually configured the path to a L61 and ENBT, happily communicated. Which makes the communication setup laughably unnecessary.

You can actually make older ones talk, you just need to tell the PanelView that it is talking to an older controller than it really is.

For example, I had to make a v5.10 PVP talk to a L83 via EN2T. I just manually configured the path to a L61 and ENBT, happily communicated. Which makes the communication setup laughably unnecessary.

I tried that but could not get it to work (after tech support said I should try that), what version did you specify for the L61?

I tried that but could not get it to work (after tech support said I should try that), what version did you specify for the L61?

It doesn't really matter what version. I did it out in the field earlier this year. I'll have to see if we have an old v5 PVP around the office, I'll set it up again.

The HMI on this is a panel mount PC branded Lincoln Electric running FactoryTalkView.

By upgrading to v20 I meant I have a L63 CPU ready on-hand if needed.

However I think Contr Conn has pointed out another issue that I can't verify now. I got a copy of the program and have saved it online so it is current, but it doesn't show anything in slot 2 - which IS an Ethernet/IP card - I took photos. I was going to verify the version for the compatibility. At least showing Eth/IP so it's not an old ENET module.

drag each I/O module from the DNET module to your new AENT module.

Another issue just noticed is the IO tree has the DeviceNet module in slot 3 of the rack as it should, but there are no nodes in the tree under it.

Slot 1 shows as Sercos fiber optic module and it has all the drive nodes connected to it listed in the IO tree, just neither of the DeviceNet nodes or anything Ethernet.

You will not see any Devicenet modules in IO tree.
These are in RSNetworks for Devicenet file. You can see IO revisions there as well.
Ethernet module most likely used by the HMI only, so no need to be in IO configuration