Flame Detectors for Gasoline/Gasoil/LPG Tanks

Charbel

Dear,

i was wondering if somebody came accross a code or standard such as from NFPA that requires the use of Flame Detectors for Gasoline, Gasoil and LPG Tanks.

Actually, for LPG Tanks, i was wondering if it linear gas detectors are sufficient and can be replacement of Flame Detectors.

Any Thoughts on this would be really appreciated,

charbel

NFPA documents can be searched and are viewable on-line
Search here: https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Stan...dards/List-of-Codes-and-Standards?keyword=LNG

Some NFPA docs on LNG:
NFPA 58, Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, 2008 edition.
NFPA 59, Utility LP-Gas Plant Code, 2008 edition.
NFPA 59A, Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), 2009 edition

I don't know what fuel gas is, but there's a standard for it:
NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code, 2009 edition.

Pay no attention to the edition dates above, they come from an old document.

Some discussion on fire detection techniques (not for LNG fuels), but it mentions IR, UV, smoke, and video imaging as detection techniques. https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=490518

Last edited:
In a room with hot presses heated with hot circulating oil and a burner (not a boiler - so it doesn't have to meet boiler spec's and engineering needs [the OEM was ADAMANT about this, even admitting to arguments with OSHA people]) I put in a few combination Infrared/Ultraviolet flame sensors.

I went with the dual spectrum to avoid false alarms from maintenance welding or outside doors suddenly opening.

I used the SenseWare UV/IR-210/1CZ sensors and haven't had any issues with them for 4 years now.
EDIT - as far as the simple gas detector instead of a flame detector it wouldn't know if there was a fire or not,plus if there was a fire that burned the gas there might not be any gas left to trigger it. Also it would have to have a sufficient gas leak to have a minimum level of gas in the air getting to the sensor. Both would be nice, but I would say flame detection around flammable gas is a must.

Last edited:
Charbel,

What are you doing? a flame detector for LPG tanks? if you have a flame on a tank its a little late.... just run ;)

I used Fire Eye's for flame detection and several different LEL's detection for the limits of explosive

For a standard you may need to check with your local regulations but this is also a big can of worms

Working in the Petro-chemical business for many years. Gas concentration, LFL, LEL, etc.. not flame detectors is usually the method used. In the USA, the number and type are determined by Hazard analysis, code requirements, and often your insurance carrier. You want to take action BEFORE the possibility of a Flame or Explosion.
Things taken in to consideration during a Hazard analysis are indoors/outdoors, response time of instrumentation and reliability of devices. Often multiple sensors with a voting scheme is used.

Be Safe.

Yes gas detectors, single sensors, multiple units and sometimes IR beam detectors that can cover many feet/meters, detect the gas without the gas reaching a single sensor.

And fire detectors, not flame detector. Different beast.

The fire detectors would be used as the first and fastest method for automatic fire suppression. One thing to have a leak, another to have a leak on fire.