RTD cable and sensor accuracy

Southbend52

I am working on an installation that will require sensor cabling interconnecting sensors to PLC subject to outdoor temperatures. Will the ambient outdoor temperatures (-10° thru 100°) affect RTD sensor accuracy? The distance of outdoor temperatures are 90’.

3 and 4 wire RTD sensors compensate for resistance along the cable length. If you are super concerned, install an RTD->4-20mA transducer near the RTD, and run the 4-20 back over the 90 feet.

No, no effect on accuracy as long as

- the RTD is a 3-wire RTD,

- the input is a 3-wire RTD input and

- the conductor size for each of the 3 wires in the cable between the RTD and the input are the gauge/diameter

I worked for a sensor manufacture for several years and "danw" nailed the answer.

With RTD's if you have a 3-wire installation with good connections and same guage wire you will be fine. Just make sure you set the PLC card for three-wire compensation. You can run three wire but unless the PLC / Temp controller are using them it will not do any good.
If there is a lot of electrical interference you could use a three wire cable with a shield and drain and ground it in the PLC panel but this is rarely needed.

Thermocouple on the other hand have a lot of seemingly picky rules that must be followed.