Using Input Digital Inputs to clear Kinetix 300 faults

Caleb_newprog

So I am new to the plc scene, and I am working on a machine that gets a fault, to which I think it is a overtorque fault. I did some research on these Kinetix 300 drives and in the manual it says you are able to use a digital input to clear faults on the drive. What would be the best way to go about this to make it easier for our maintenance to fix the machine?

Usually its a HMI push button to the controlling PLC that cycles the fault reset. In addition, the drive usually has to go through some motion commands to re-enable and get it back to a working state. I don't see a single digital input to the drive being able to do that.

Select one of the drive's discrete inputs and configure it to be interpreted as a "clear faults" command, assuming that's one of the options in the drive you're using.
Wire a PLC output to that input. It is generally easier to use a contact output from the PLC, but it is possible to use a solid state output at the correct voltage level.
Write logic in the PLC to control when to energize the PLC output to clear the fault.
Having said all that, it generally isn't enough to simply clear the fault. Maintenance also needs to diagnose what caused the fault and correct that. Otherwise, it's likely the fault will happen again.

So the problem is that some debris will be on the track for this carriage to move back and forth thus torquing out the motor and popping an error on the drive. You guys are saying I couldn't wire a button to remove the error status of the drive?

You guys are saying I couldn't wire a button to remove the error status of the drive?
We're not saying that at all. But if all the operator or the maintenance technician does is reset the fault without clearing debris from the track, the next time the carriage encounters the debris you'll get another fault.
In addition, anything that causes the drive to throw an overcurrent fault is putting excess stress on the drivetrain components. If this is happening frequently you should be looking for ways to keep the debris off the track. Not just to save wear and tear on the drivetrain, but also to prevent downtime.

you can't clear certain fault on Kinetix300/350 with HMI or PLC, have to clear it by unplugging and plugging in +24V supply on Kinetix300/350.
here "certain fault" means you can't see any fault on Kinetix300/350, the drive looks working fine, but it has no response.

Last edited:
you can't clear certain fault on Kinetix300/350 with HMI or PLC, have to clear it by unplugging and plugging in +24V supply on Kinetix300/350.
here "certain fault" means you can't see any fault on Kinetix300/350, the drive looks working fine, but it has no response.

Noted. Going to replicate the issue this weekend during non-production hours. Thinking of possible solutions to keep debris off of track... Thinking air knives. 🔨 :p