Fanuc F-200iB Series 9, 6 Axis Robot

Lay95

I have a Fanuc Robot F-200iB Series 9, 6 Axis and it is running on R-J3iB controller and the controller is configured to Mitsubishi PLC Q06HCPU using profibus. The robot is used to run the nutrunner to torque the bolt. Now the nutrunner position is changed, so I have to change the home-position of robot and set it up to new home-position and locate the new points for its movement. I am new to Mitsubishi PLC & Fanuc Robots and I am confused that can I change the position of robot through controller or I have to even change the program in PLC?

I know I have to make many other changes in PLC programming with reference to the change in position of Robot and its related operations. But my main concern is setting up new position using controller or PLC and what are the factors that I have to keep in mind.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Thanks.

Hi from what little I've messed with FANUC robots, the robot program which resides in the robot controller would need to be modified to reflect the new position of the tool. Everything in logic ought to stay the same. As an example, if logic activates say "DI 32 Go To Job1" and if job1 is activating the nutrunner when the robot is in position, then that would not change. A DO from the robot will tell logic that it is in position for Job1. Hope this helps and BTW welcome to the forum. And logic is logic in this case, be it Rockwell, Siemens, Mitzi, whatever.

Hi Saultgeorge,
Thanks for your message.
I will look into the controller to find out, how to change the position and the ladder logic remains the same (even if the co-ordinates are change for new position of the robot? That has nothing to do with logic?)
Thanks.

Hi Saultgeorge,
Thanks for your message.
I will look into the controller to find out, how to change the position and the ladder logic remains the same (even if the co-ordinates are change for new position of the robot? That has nothing to do with logic?)
Thanks.

Hi, well almost every robot that I have seen programmed, and I don't do robot programming but I've seen it done countless times, the programmer puts the robot in "teach" mode and makes "paths". Then when it's time for a pick, drop, weld, etc the programmer puts that position in the robot program. Then there's a "home" position in the robot program.
In my experience, all the PLC does is run logic that gives the process statuses and then initiates another sequence. So an example would be the robot is in it's home position, no faults, parts are present, safeties OK, etc. The the PLC program will give the robot controller a command, usually over a hard-wired input. We call this a "DI" to the robot controller. When the robot program sees this input, it will initiate a routine that has been programmed. Like "go to pounce" or something. When it's at pounce, the robot program sends back a "DO" to the PLC and says "OK, now what?"
So in conclusion your PLC program will just initiate different parts of the robot program. What that robot program does as far as positions, operating nutrunners, welding, picking etc is up to the person who programmed the robot. Changing a position would always be in the robot program. If one was able to program an axis point and send it to a robot, all kinds of bad poo-poo stuff would happen. Hope this helps you and reach out if you need something.

Hi, well almost every robot that I have seen programmed, and I don't do robot programming but I've seen it done countless times, the programmer puts the robot in "teach" mode and makes "paths". Then when it's time for a pick, drop, weld, etc the programmer puts that position in the robot program. Then there's a "home" position in the robot program.
In my experience, all the PLC does is run logic that gives the process statuses and then initiates another sequence. So an example would be the robot is in it's home position, no faults, parts are present, safeties OK, etc. The the PLC program will give the robot controller a command, usually over a hard-wired input. We call this a "DI" to the robot controller. When the robot program sees this input, it will initiate a routine that has been programmed. Like "go to pounce" or something. When it's at pounce, the robot program sends back a "DO" to the PLC and says "OK, now what?"
So in conclusion your PLC program will just initiate different parts of the robot program. What that robot program does as far as positions, operating nutrunners, welding, picking etc is up to the person who programmed the robot. Changing a position would always be in the robot program. If one was able to program an axis point and send it to a robot, all kinds of bad poo-poo stuff would happen. Hope this helps you and reach out if you need something.
Hi Saultgeorge,

Thanks for your reply.
Now, I can understand the difference and the above mentioned information is very useful.
I will reach out if I need more help.
Thanks once again

Hi Saultgeorge,

Thanks for your reply.
Now, I can understand the difference and the above mentioned information is very useful.
I will reach out if I need more help.
Thanks once again

You're very welcome, sir!! Any time.