SLC 5/04 and PanelView 1000

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have been asked to update a really old system.

It has a 1747-L542 (SLC 5/04 32KB) and a 2711-T10C8 (PANEL VIEW 1000).

I have the legacy software installed (RSlogix 500 and PanelBuilder32) via Legacy Tool Kit.

What other hardware will I need to get online?

Will a 1747-UIC still work?

Will I need to revert to an older Operating System (currently Windows 10 across company).

Thanks in advance.

Paul

It all depends on what the serial port is configured to.
If it is DF1 (which is the default setting for the SLC) then you will need a null modem cable, a 1756-CP3 or 1746-CP3 or an off the shelf cable.
You should be able to get the Panel View program with a straight through cable. You may need to shut down the Panel View and disable the printing port so you can connect to it.

Or if you have a DH+ network adapter you should be able to use that to get both the PLC and the Panel View programs. You may need to shut down the Panel View and disable the printing port so you can connect to it.

Do you have a copy of the PLC program so that you can see what the serial port is configured to?

I agree that you can very probably connect to the PanelView's RS-232 port and the SLC-5/04's RS-232 port inexpensively with ordinary cables and an ordinary RS-232/USB converter to do your upload/download work.

90% of the systems you'll encounter with those devices will have left the serial ports in their default modes. I agree also that you will need two serial cables, or a null-modem converter: it's just an artifact of history that the SLC serial port and the PanelView serial port are pinned opposite (DTE vs DCE).

There almost certainly won't be a need for the 1747-UIC; that's for Data Highway 485, not Data Highway Plus.

A 1784-U2DHP would be convenient, but they're very expensive if you don't already have one, and will probably not be necessary.

You *can* connect RS-232 to the SLC-5/04 and do "pass through" to that old PanelView on DH+ but I don't recommend it because the next person who connects is going to curse your name for leaving the serial port in a non-default protocol configuration.

another thing to consider is how old is the panelview version application vs. your software version. i have had issues in the past with a newer version of panelbuilder trying to read an original version panelbuilder application.
james

It all depends on what the serial port is configured to.
If it is DF1 (which is the default setting for the SLC) then you will need a null modem cable, a 1756-CP3 or 1746-CP3 or an off the shelf cable.
You should be able to get the Panel View program with a straight through cable. You may need to shut down the Panel View and disable the printing port so you can connect to it.

Or if you have a DH+ network adapter you should be able to use that to get both the PLC and the Panel View programs. You may need to shut down the Panel View and disable the printing port so you can connect to it.

Do you have a copy of the PLC program so that you can see what the serial port is configured to?

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

I do have both programs, when I look at the channel config, I have the following...

Channel 1 - System = Driver DH+, 57.6K, Node - 1
Channel 0 - System = Driver DF1 Full Duplex, 19200, N, 1, Source ID = 9

So looks like I should be able to connect to the SLC with a Null Modem Cable?

I agree that you can very probably connect to the PanelView's RS-232 port and the SLC-5/04's RS-232 port inexpensively with ordinary cables and an ordinary RS-232/USB converter to do your upload/download work.

90% of the systems you'll encounter with those devices will have left the serial ports in their default modes. I agree also that you will need two serial cables, or a null-modem converter: it's just an artifact of history that the SLC serial port and the PanelView serial port are pinned opposite (DTE vs DCE).

There almost certainly won't be a need for the 1747-UIC; that's for Data Highway 485, not Data Highway Plus.

A 1784-U2DHP would be convenient, but they're very expensive if you don't already have one, and will probably not be necessary.

You *can* connect RS-232 to the SLC-5/04 and do "pass through" to that old PanelView on DH+ but I don't recommend it because the next person who connects is going to curse your name for leaving the serial port in a non-default protocol configuration.

Thank you Ken, I totally forgot about DH485 vs DH+. Glad to know I can use cheap serial cables, now I just need to figure out the Operating System vs USB to Serial Adapters etc.

another thing to consider is how old is the panelview version application vs. your software version. i have had issues in the past with a newer version of panelbuilder trying to read an original version panelbuilder application.
james

Thank you James. When I went to DL the software for the PanelBuilder, there were 3 versions, 1200, 1400e and 32. I downloaded PB32, and I was able to open the "PBA" file, so I think I am okay on this front?

I have 2 @ 1761-NET-AIC and a 1747-UIC, I think both of these are DH485 for connecting to MicroLogix?

Sounds like I do not need these, just a USB to DB9 serial adapter and the two cables?

I just installed RSLogix 500 V11.00.00 and PanelBuilder 32 V 3.83.01 on a new Win10 laptop. I haven't had to upload or download with PB32 yet, but I haven't had any issues opening up .PBA files as I need. RSLogix 500 works like a champ for me. The one gotcha with the PB32 is the version of RSLinx that you are running. https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=115100 This thread talks about the incompatibility with RSLinx V4.00 and up with PanelBuilder32. Post 42 mentions that Rockwell fixed the issue in 2020, but it is worth keeping this in the back of your mind come upload/download time.

You should be fine with the USB to RS232 and the two serial cables. As mentioned earlier, the SLC requires a serial null modem cable. The PanelView requires a straight thru cable serial cable, but it sounds like you already know that.

I have 2 @ 1761-NET-AIC and a 1747-UIC, I think both of these are DH485 for connecting to MicroLogix?

Sounds like I do not need these, just a USB to DB9 serial adapter and the two cables?

The UIC can also be used to connect to the DH485 port on a SLC 5/03, had to do it myself last week (with a third party 1747-UIC from PLCCable - thanks GIT!). I think you should be set with a USB to serial adapter with a serial cable. I typically use a Prolific USB to serial converter from StarTech and what I believe is a straight through serial cable when I connect to a 5/04.