OT: Friction within Corporation as society moves along

exabmorgan

HR is percolating on a mandate to have marketing and engineering scrub materials and products of the terms “Master” and “Slave”.
Fine, I get it- I don’t want to be purposely adversarial as long as HR gives some grace period for my brain to re-wire itself.

But I thought I’d ask, what are your good alternatives that express the relationship between two entities that work in the same manner as those terms? (less the inherent historical connotations..)

I get hives when I get involved in a conversation that has a mix of serial and ethernet components, and client/server gets shoved aside when these (often times) serial terms bleed over. I like clear & specific terminology.

I like BryanGs the best but Universal might come after you for copyright and make you change all you documentation.

I'd have a hard time working manager(ment) / employee into a technical conversation. But I love that it mirrors my feelings of sitting in the office waiting for instructions on a task (hands hovering over the keyboard..)

Thanks for the wiki link. I'd searched the forum but didn't think that wikipedia would have similar coverage.

Technology and society evolve, so our terminology evolves with it. I have no problem with moving away from the outdated terms. I used to teach classrooms full of students of many different ethnicities and I was always very uncomfortable with the master and slave terms.

That said, to me many of the terms we use now don't really capture the same relationship. There are certainly different levels of relationships between devices but when I hear master/slave I think of a remote device being polled for data by a master device. And maybe that master even tells the slave device what actions to take. All communications are initiated by the master device. That is what I think of anyways.

Publisher/subscriber, producer/consumer, client/server, and parent/child are the new terms I think of. But those terms don't really tell me that the other device doesn't do anything except respond to the primary device. Parent/child seems to be the closest mainly because I think of "don't speak unless spoken to".

Gotta say though, I do like Gru and Minion.

OG

I would agree mostly with Gru and Minion. The reason we use the terms master and slave is they are still apt. The master tells the slave what to do and/or asks it for an answer to a specific question. The slave responds or completes the task it was told to do by the master.

These are not living things. They are behaving as the words are defined. Changing to something like produced and consumed is not accurate as the master can both produce and consume data as well as a slave. Server and client is close I suppose.

We have to get past the idea of "trigger" words, language does definitely evolve but to be forced into using different terminology that is less accurate does no favors to anyone.

sorry again but this woke stuff is ridiculous, I refuse to participate. May people I think have gone mad or are mentally ill. Human nature is to belong to a group and people to satisfy their own self into feeling like they belong in the group, so they say some crazy and ridiculous things to show everyone and them selves they belong no thanks.

Pardon me me but christmas is still christmas male and female are still the same and many other things.

Real estate agents can't say master bedroom, crazy.

I am 65 years old and had enough of this PC a nd woke stuff, get a life.