PLC2/30 to PLC communication cable

jimmazza

Does anyone know the pin connections for a 15 pin to 9 pin connector cable to interface between the Allen-Bradley PLC2/30 programming port and a laptop 9 pin connector. I used to have one of these with an adapter on the end that allowed me to use my PC in place of a T3 terminal, with software of course. I still have the software, but lost the cable. Unfortunately I also still need to use the PLC2/30's for a while longer. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

That cable is like gold; it was a "PLC-2 Smart Cable" that converted from the PLC-2 terminal's connection (current loop serial) to RS-232 serial. A-B doesn't make them anymore, and I can't vouch for any other device that will do the same thing. A-B does not supply a schematic for the 9399-L2103 Smart Cable.

There was an Australian company that made one for a while (www.austglobal.com) but their website has been "coming soon" for about a year.

I have a 1784-PCMK/A with 1784-PCM2 cable that I loan out as part of PLC-2 conversion services. Your local A-B office may have one too.

I realize that you "have to live with" and maintain these controllers, but probably your management has not considered the risk involved with very old controllers and very old tools. Compare the cost of a conversion to PLC-5 or ControlLogix to the cost of a known-good PLC-2 controller (eBay doesn't count if you can't verify the controller's functionality) and two days of downtime.

PLC2 Fun

We had the same problem.. You did not mention if the PC is dedicated to the PLC2 program, or if it is a laptop,used everywhere. We have the cable on a dedicated PC program terminal at one PLC2-30 and at the other, I replaced the AB program terminal with a 286 I found in the garbage. I cleaned all the programs off it and installed DOS 6.22. I found an old KT Card in a junk pile at another sawmill. They were glad to part with it for 100 Canadian. I had to buy a special male connector with 60 or so pins. A little soldering and AB2 was up and running. The only issue is going on line takes a couple of tries. There are lots of KT cards out there. this may be one solution for you.

Ab2/30

I just got off the phone... If you are not in a big hurry, I found a PLC 2/30 being upgraded in June. It has the cable and a laptop program terminal.