rs logix 5000 tag

bfranklin

Hey,

can you change the data type and the tag scope on line? I have tried to change the data type and scope location for a few tags that I created but was not able to.

Hey,

can you change the data type and the tag scope on line? I have tried to change the data type and scope location for a few tags that I created but was not able to.

Unfortunately not. The best you can do is create a placeholder tag, replace the tag you want to to change in all uses, delete the original tag, recreate the tag with the new type, scope, etc, then replace the temp tag with the recreated tag. It's a PITA to be sure, but doable

just to add to bmacattack33. I use the properties page to make this change online. You can add a 1 to the end of the tag name on the property page and it will change all instances in program to {tagname1}
no need to do search and replace. You can also change in the tag file by double clicking tag with the same results. Then make new tag in correct scope or data type and then you have to go thru program and remove the 1 from all instances. Once all instances have been changed you can delete {tagname1}. If it will not let you delete then there are still instances left. If tag is being monitered by another resource then changes are not allowed. ie: HMI or other