PLC in Class 1 Div 2, cooling options

sameer

Hello,
We need to put a PLC control panel in a Class 1 Div 2 location. Unfortunately the location is fixed, there is no way we can put this panel in a non-classified area.
The plant is in Texas and the PLC's got to withstand brutal heat. What would be our options for cooling? I believe we might be able to use a NEMA 4X panel rated for Class 1 Div 2.
I know you cannot use NEMA 4X for Class 1 Div 1, but you might be able to do it for Class 1 Div 2 if you use intrinsic safety barriers. Is my understanding correct? Has anyone done this before? This will be first time for me.
Also can you put a closed loop cooling system and still have the panel retain it's Class 1 Div 2 rating?

Thanks in advance..

Which PLC? Some are rated for class 1 Div. 2. You could use enclosure purging. They make compressed air cooling too.

John, thanks. PLC is AB compactlogix. I looked into Pepperl Fuchs enclosure purging system. that looks like a good option. thanks for the suggestion. i'll look at their cooling too.
thanks,
Sameer

Most of the CompactLogix stuff I believe is rated Class 1 div.2. I don't know about the relay output modules though. What else is going to be located in the cabinet. Purging also keeps the dust and dirt out.

Sameer,

I don't know your background, so from experience here goes.
your safety department must do a risk study. this study may or may not have to be done with the local authorities and may or may not have to be approved by the local / state authorities.

check with the enclosure manufacturer to confirm the NEMA 4X
is in deed rated for the environment. Check about the door seals and glue used. that is where you will be shot down.
YOU MUST tell them what gases you are dealing with, class, div, group rating.

I do not know of any NEMA4X enclosures that are ul listed for Class 1 div 2. I could be wrong.

you need to research the electrical code NEC 70 sections 500 - 516 I think, hazardous locations.
NFPA 97 - standard handbook for electrical machinery, NFPA 496 purging and pressurization of electrical enclosures.

See NEC 70 section 500.7(d) this will help you.

YOU MUST use purging or pressurization for this enclosure per nec requirements. You must also kill all power past the system if the seal is compromised UNLESS the result is more dangerous than the door seal being compromised, and you must be able to prove it.

having said that, I do not know how you would use a vortex cooler and keep pressurization. the air conditioner must be sealed type unit no sparks, thermostat contacts in the hazardous area. you will also need a backup system don't forget that.

you have not mentioned the type of plant, product, temperature
group rating for the environment.

We can only offer suggestions, You really haven't provided enough information for any correct solution.

DOES the installation have to be UL certified? Stamped by a pe, local AHJ, county AHJ, State approved?

regards,
james