You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old August 14th, 2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Steve_D
Australia

AB Encoder Code

I am programming an AB HSCE2 encoder module in an SLC5/03. I have the manual (all 300 pages of it) but its a hard read ("sort of like lord of the rings"). Anyway, I would ask for an explanation but the manual indicates that that would be a long drawn out process so I was hoping that someone could perhaps send me some code of one that they had set up (I am using RSlogix 500) so I can see for myself how the programming blocks and data words etc tie together. I am not trying to take the easy way out but sometimes things are a lot clearer when you get to the end of the road and look back.
Old August 16th, 2002, 06:44 AM   #2
john paley
United States

I forget, does that one use M files, or O: words for it's configuration? Either way, the values you put in the M0 or 0:xx file cause the counter to act the way it ultimately does. There are many options, so many, it makes the wrinkles in my brain go smooth, sometimes. Some values you read from the M1: file, some from the I:xx file. The first step is to decide what you want it to do, then search the configuration part of the book to figure out how. I couuld help more if you were more specific. I've used the HSCE, not the HSCE2, but I've got a manual for it, somewhere. If I sent you sample configuration code, it would simply be a file copy rung to configure the module. The value of the words in the copy from file is the key to how it operates.
Old August 16th, 2002, 08:21 AM   #3
JeffB
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Hi!

I've used incremental encoders wired to HSCE2 modules for positioning purposes. I can send you the set up file for that type of application.
Keep in mind, that it won't help you if your wanting to use the ouputs on card to energize at certain counts.
Old August 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #4
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

There are about 30 Knowledgebase documents on "support.rockwellautomation.com" regarding the HSCE2, so clearly you're in good company.

One of them is even called "HSCE2 - As Simple as It Can Get ?", which contains minimum configurations to get counting to begin.

I have a pair of thick "quick-start" documents explaining the HSCE2 buried somewhere from factory training two years ago... I'll dig them out and see if I have electronic copies.

What's the basic configuration you want to set up ?
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:52 AM   #5
Steve_D
Australia

Guys, thanks to your input I have my encoder up and running.... I am now the resident guru. Thanks again and I hope I can return the favour
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum